Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Scratching with xp10's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey everybody,
I just started djing about 6 months ago and a couple months ago I got my hercules controler which entertained me until I found out it was kind of limited and the scratching sucks. I then found out about xp10s and I think pretty soon once I can get some money for them I am gonna have to get some. Im not very good at scratching but I want to learn. I have seen dj get downs video and he is amazing. How are the xp10s for scratching? Does anyone have a video of the xp10s in use? Also I mix with alot of reggae and rap....does anyone have some songs they have scratched with either of these types of music? I would love to get an idea of how people scratch good with these. Also if someone would be willing could you explain how to hook up the xp10s to the mixer, computer, and then the speakers? do both xp10s have to be plugged into the computer? Also how is mixing with only one xp10....I might just get one first until I can afford 2? How good does this work?
Thanks

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 12:15 am
I forgot to add this to my first message. How do xp10s compare to some of the active platter cd decks like the denon s5000? Besides xp10s I am also considering some of these although they are more expensive. Has anybody used both of them?

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 12:49 am
I just got my XP10s not even 3 weeks ago and I am having a blast with them. I too was not very good at scratching and I think I've gotten to be pretty good scratching on the XP10. I do have some sound files of me scratching hip-hop and R&B mostly and I really want to post some video but I need to buy video camera first, or maybe borrow one from WirlessDJ. I'm sure he has an extra video camera or 3 hanging around.

Don't even waste your time with 1 XP10. Hooking it up is a breeze. Don't worry about that part.

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 1:03 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
anewsome i think what he wanted to know (i do too) is that could u use only 1 xp-10 and use the computer's soundcard? for me i'd only like to scratch the song coming in.. after i release it and they'r mixing can i "tab" the xp-10 to the next deck and scratch it out?

the xp-10 is said to have a great soundcard but since i cant buy 2 i'd only like to get one for practise...

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 3:13 am
Yes, it is *possible* to do everything with 1 XP10. Matter of fact if one ever dies during a gig, this is what I'll be doing. There is a "switch" button on the XP10 that can be used to switch which deck the XP10 is controlling in VDJ. This would be very hard for me to do personally, with my style of mixing. These bad boys are fun though. I seriously can't wait to use mine at a party. I know that no one at that party has ever seen em. That'll be half the fun and when I rip it up and show em what I got, that'll be the other half.

I don't have a video camera but my little digital camera has a video recording option. I'll probably make a quick XP10 video using that thing but my digicam of course does not have a line input to connect to the mixer. It'll be room sound picked up by a crappy digicam mic. Not sure this is the best scenario to flex my XP10 skills (or non-skills).

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 9:52 am
Anewsome...that sounds pretty good with the camera....I would really like to see the xp10's in action even if the sound isnt that good. Also you said you had some songs u had scratched...if you would be willing I would like to hear these also....let me know....also have u used any of the active platter cd decks to scratch?

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 6:28 pm
Yes I've used active platter CD decks to scratch, or attempt scratching as the case may be. I'm actually getting pretty good at making the scratch sound how I hear it in my head and getting it to be in rythym and on beat, working the crossfader, etc. I just can't do it all that *fast*, doing it fast takes practice and when whenever I try to go fast, I seem to loose my *spot* in the scratch and it sounds horrible. I just need more practice.

The 3 decks I've used are the various Denon pro decks, the Tehnics with the giant active platter and the Pioneer which doesn't have an active platter but a large magic plate like the XP10s. Those CD decks seem a lot more predictable in behavior and it was easy to keep my spot while scratching, but I'm gonna have to say I am now leaning towards the feel of the Pioneer for scratching. This might have something to do with trying to get used to the magic plate on the XP10, that I am now starting to like not having an active platter.

My biggest downside with no active platter is that you have to use headphones or look on the screen so you don't lose your spot. With an active platter you can get a visual with where on the platter your spot is with that line that goes around in the circle. That I wish I did have,.. and please do not mention the skins that have the line like an active platter - that thing is useless and does not stay in sync with the sound file.

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 7:08 pm
Yeah I saw a video that someone posted comparing those same three active platter decks and the denon looked pretty good but its alot more money than the xp10. I think I can only scrounge up enough money for one right now plus a mixer so I cant decide if I should order it or wait a couple months to get two. I am real eager to get something better than the hercules and start learning how to scratch. With the xp10s can you do some pretty good scratching with practice? I have never actually used turntables or anything with an active platter so Im learning everything as I go along. Maybe some day I will get some turntables with tcv but until the tcv is back in stock and I have alot of money to blow Im not considering it. And let me know about those sound files if you are willing to send them to me so I can hear what u have been doing.

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 10:08 pm
I promise, as soon as I get home from work I am straight away on the XP10 with my digicam setup. I'll have sound and video files posted by tonight!

Posted Thu 03 Feb 05 @ 1:14 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
anewsome i've seen a dj do "everything" with one turntable. i cant remember which software the dj was using. whether it was final scratch or scratch live... but this young dude made a switch/usb and controlled both sides of the software using one turntable. he did complex ish. so with me i'm thinking using the keyboard (shortcuts) + xp-10 that would be the same thing. with me i just love the keyboard. (thats the reason i also prefer pc games to game consoles).
(ive seen keyboards with a mouse scroll) so if vdj customized a keyboard with a crossfader that would be perfect. i'd immediately get one!. i know the xp-10s are said to be the best hardware controllers in the market but 2 for $800 more me is a little on the high side. especially when i'm not really sure about them and cant test them for myself before buying.

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 2:34 am
ddwwd

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 3:47 pm
So.. I got one xp10 since 1 Month. Bevor I was unsing Tuntables, but I sold them. The Bison Software ist excellent but the scratching Sound is not good enough today. Also you can t controll 2 Virtual Decks on Bison. I hope in Future you can. I tried Virtual DJ and the Sound is excellent.

Believe me, you can do most what all the Turntable DJ s do with 1 xp10. Just click the Switch Button and go... Of course it would be more comfortable to youse 2 xp10 but 333 euro are 333 euro.

There ist a difference in the Response when scratching. In Bison it ist a little better. To scratch with the little xp10 wheel isn t so far away then to scratch a turntable.

A Tip : Use the Traktor Skin with the 2 Waveforms.

For me, I am waiting that EKS gets Bison 1.0.

Posted Thu 10 Feb 05 @ 10:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)