Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Audio stutter with sequencer (solved)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bantonHome userMember since 2005
Hi there.

I have been using virtual dj with a sequencer to make tracks/remixes and found a possible bug, although not a huge one.

I have edited some of this one acapella to run and try and perfect the pitch against the rhythm, in some parts of the acapella I have muted what I dont want to hear (to silence) but found that it causes the sequencer to stutter whenever a blank part is reached.

I tried converting it to mp3 and wav and find the same problem either way seems to be exactly the same. So then after I struggled to pitch it correctly, I recorded it solo and opened it in my favourite wave editor and ran it directly from there, my guess is now that the wave ed I use must cache the whole stream of audio directly to memory, and when I ran it back with the sequencer there was no skipping at all.

The confusing part... I have some understanding of how a pc works but dont profess to be bill gates, but next I left the wave editor open, and ran back the acapella in virtual dj to try pitching it closer, and found (you may have guessed) it didnt skip. I havent tried closing down everything and rebooting to test the scenario again (because I was happy to continue working) but have asumed some form of memory sharing between apps on the same audio data file.

What this leads me to believe is there is a problem with the audio cache of an mp3 or a wave file due to the way Vdj streams a song, I also understand virtual dj is a big program when it comes to doing its tasks and maybe a full audio file cache isnt a good thing, or is it ?

Is it possible to cache the full song or make it so Vdj can have a "cache the full song option".

I feel I am plucking slightly at straws here but have as I said have not retested my theory, that is mainly due to the constant way in which the skipping happened, religiously if you like. As I also said when the wave ed had cached the song into memory the skipping stopped and ran perfectly both from the wave ed and Vdj.

Many thanks - Virtual Dj - the best I have seen and heard

Posted Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 11:44 pm
the "max load" feature should be able to do this, i can't say whether it will sort your problem, but the "max load" choses how much of the song it will load into memory.

set this between 15mn - Always (depending on the length of your acapella, however, if you havn't got much RAM, it may affect performance levels.

I'm sure I am correct in the way i understand this feature, if not, then sombody tell me otherwise :)

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 2:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)