Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Please help i've got a xp10 buzz - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

ivarPRO InfinityMember since 2004
one of my two xp10's is going grazy

just in the middle of a song i get a big buzz

there is no music anymore and the sound of the buzz is like a television wich doesn't recieves anything and it is lounder than the music before was

wheb i push pause it stops and then when i move the jogwheel you can controle the buzz going forewards and backwards

the buzz comes and disapears whenever so not in a special point in the song

???????????

i've been trying a lot of things but i really don't know what to do anymore

soo ive somebody could help please

ivar

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 2:56 pm
just did another test on a different laptop
one is a toshiba (wich i'm having the problems with)768 ram, pentium 4, 3.06 processor

and the one i tested now is a gericom 512 ram, pentium 4 with a 2800 processor

and what suprised me is that i am having no problems with the gericom

so it must be a configuration in my toshiba laptop

thanks for the help

ivar

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 4:37 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
it could be that you are experiencing a groud loop hum.
If any of your power cables are of the 3 prong type, get 2 prong adapters for those cables, and the hum should stop.

although the hum you described doesn't exactly seem like a ground loop hum.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 6:25 pm
thanks for awnsering

but it is not a ground problem, because i already have a special adapter for that

ivar

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 6:41 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
if you switch them around, is it still the same xp10 that's going crazy? just trying to figure if it's xp10 or usb-port related.

also, have you added any hardware to your laptop (such as a PCMCIA card or other USB port) lately, that could steal power from your xp10?

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 8:45 pm
i have swaped the xp10's around but it is still the same side (so it is not a xp10 problem)

but i have indeed added 512 mb of ram this weekend and i'm having this problem since

how can i arrange this problem

thanks

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 9:18 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
in this post: http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=1180&page=1

there's a link to a RAM testing software. I haven't tried it, but you might want to give it a try. If your new RAM is faulty, exchange it. Are your new 512Mb the same specs as the existing RAM? notebooks are pretty sensitive to bad or mismatched RAM. Buy some good brand (not generic), and on some sites you can input your notebook model and it'll show you the best RAM for it (try kingston, corsair,...). also, try to run the toshiba only with the new 512Mb chips, without the old 256 one: if it works fine then, then RAM mismatch is most likely at fault...

if your RAM is not at fault, then maybe your notebook was already at its power limit with the two xp10s before you added the RAM, and adding the RAM just put it over the threshold (and the culprit USB port is the first one to suffer on the chain). the only way then would be to reduce your notebook's power consumption by disabling some unused devices through the device manager (Network card, Modem, internal soundcard...) and maybe lowering the screen brightness. You might have a battery power saving mode that does it automatically, then just force it to work on "battery" profile, even though it's plugged into the outlet.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 10:36 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use www.memtest86.com and it has often shown errors that other memory testers didn't catch.

Doesn't sound like a bad piece of ram, though,imo. All my bad RAM manifested as general system stability problems.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 10:59 pm
I've got 2 xp10's.

I run my mixer and PC on one circuit and my mixer pushes the audio to my amp with a different power circuit.

I stuck a ground loop isolater at the amp and I have no hum at all, but then again I'm not the biggest audiophile in the world. What might not be noticable to me, could be an annoying hum to you.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 1:30 am
thanks guys for awnsering,

but before i'm gonna disable some powerfunctions in my laptop i just want to know if somebody knows how a xp10 would react when it doesn't get enough power,

because what i find really weird is that i can control the buzz with my jogwheel,
like if the mp3 file is gone
and then when i push pause the buzz is gone, and when i push play it is back
but never with the same song or in the same point in the song ?

i call it a buzz but it is a really stong noise and there is no music at all

thanks

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 10:15 am
just did some more tests and found out that the buzz is like a sort of distortion

during the buzz i completly lower the master volume of VDJ and on the side where the buss is i can still here the music pretty loud and then when the buzz disapears i cant here anything anymore until i put up the master volume and the music is back.

i also changed my usb cable but that is not the problem either

???

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 3:22 pm
what i meant to say is during the buzz when i completely lower the master volume i can here the music(wich is not normal) and when i put the master volume a bit up the buzz is back

sorry to bother but i cant do anything with it anymore

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 3:40 pm
"....music pretty loud ..."

You say you hear music pretty loud even when lowering master volume.

Leads me to think about GAIN! What is the gain setting when you use Virtual DJ?
Do you play songs with to much gain? that would give heavy distortion...(buzz)

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 3:43 pm
yeah that is the stange thing during the buzz with the mastervolume in VDJ completely down i can hear the music again

but no, it is not a GAIN problem i wish it was

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 4:04 pm
KayleHome userMember since 2003
With Virtual DJ master volume at 0% you can hear something ? Is the buzz still present ?
if you launch a record of your session does the buzz is hearable on the recorded mp3 ?

Did you try to use XP10 soundcard as your default soundcard and then try playing a mp3 using WMP for example ?

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 9:11 pm
i think the problem is that my usb port doesn't get enough power because NOW it even sometimes deconnect

so how can i give my usb port more power what dj bambi discryped before so that i can test that

hehe
i've been testing for two days now so why not a little bit more

thanks guys

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 9:46 pm
You can get powered USB hubs at just about any computer retailer. They only cost $15 or $20.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 10:41 pm
i've had a mail from EKS,
and they say it's a very rare processor problem, wich has to do with the speed of it
i'm waiting for further instruction wich i will also write here

other idea's are always welcome

ivar

Posted Thu 20 Jan 05 @ 10:53 am
just did two more tests

1 : if i only play with one xp10 the buzz never occurs

2 : i just recorded during the buzz and in the recorded mp3 file there is no buzz

ivar

Posted Thu 20 Jan 05 @ 11:52 am
We all have experienced the buzz you are describing. EKS need to fix the problem and stop blaming your computer. Its so bad I stoped using it for my sound card and use my Motu 828.I use the controller function of the XP10 and gave up on trying to get rid of the buzz.It's easy to blame your computer but it's not the problem.

Posted Thu 20 Jan 05 @ 2:23 pm
77%