Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pentium Dual Core vs Centrino Core 2 Duo....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What are the diffeences as they relate to VDJ 5.1 and which is better if any? I wasn't even aware there was a Pentium Dual Core until I went laptop browsing and some had Pentium Dual Cores and some had Centrino Core 2 Duos......anybody know

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 12:23 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Centrino's are more power efficient they are intended for prolonged battery life in laptops.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 12:52 pm
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I'd buy the Pentium. No Contest.

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:36 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I have a Intel Centrino Duo in my Toshiba and haven't had any problem,

As regards to the Pentium Duo core I think all Intel did was to just re-used the name on there new 2 core chips, from there successful Pentium series of single core chip's

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 1:43 pm
PFD50 wrote :
I'd buy the Pentium. No Contest.

Why? What advantages over the Centrino?

Posted Tue 01 Jul 08 @ 6:35 pm
drzincPRO InfinityMember since 2005
dj-e-lectric wrote :
What are the diffeences as they relate to VDJ 5.1 and which is better if any? I wasn't even aware there was a Pentium Dual Core until I went laptop browsing and some had Pentium Dual Cores and some had Centrino Core 2 Duos......anybody know

A pentium Dual core is an old technology, a core 2 duo is faster uses less watts and cooler all things you want in a mobile chip.

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 12:00 am
core 2 duo it is then

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 1:26 am
dj-e-lectric wrote :
core 2 duo it is then

I'd go with that but not the centrino

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 7:20 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
PFD50 wrote :
dj-e-lectric wrote :
core 2 duo it is then

Let me explain something here, in case people get caught out by comments like this.

Quite simply: Centrino is not a CPU. People always seem to confuse it with a Celeron for some reason.

Quote :
Centrino, a platform-marketing initiative from Intel, covers a particular combination of CPU, mainboard chipset and wireless network interface in the design of a laptop personal computer. Intel claimed that systems equipped with these technologies should deliver better performance, longer battery life and broad wireless network interoperability.

So obviously a Centrino system can have a Core2Duo CPU.

More information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

If you are going to buy a new Intel system, go with an Core 2 processor - be it Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme or Core 2 Quad. Ignore the Centrino branding and look at the ACTUAL CPU specified.

Do not get a celeron, and steer clear of the Pentium Dual-Cores as well if budget allows as this is a lower end CPU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core).

Regards,

Scott

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 10:24 am
SBDJ wrote :
PFD50 wrote :
dj-e-lectric wrote :
core 2 duo it is then

Let me explain something here, in case people get caught out by comments like this.

Quite simply: Centrino is not a CPU. People always seem to confuse it with a Celeron for some reason.

Quote :
Centrino, a platform-marketing initiative from Intel, covers a particular combination of CPU, mainboard chipset and wireless network interface in the design of a laptop personal computer. Intel claimed that systems equipped with these technologies should deliver better performance, longer battery life and broad wireless network interoperability.

So obviously a Centrino system can have a Core2Duo CPU.

More information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

If you are going to buy a new Intel system, go with an Core 2 processor - be it Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme or Core 2 Quad. Ignore the Centrino branding and look at the ACTUAL CPU specified.

Do not get a celeron, and steer clear of the Pentium Dual-Cores as well if budget allows as this is a lower end CPU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core).

Regards,

Scott

So if Intel has designed the components in a centrino system with a core 2 duo to "deliver better performance, longer battery life and broad wireless network interoperability" why should we avoid that, that sounds like a good thing to me? Also what cpu speed would you recommend as the minimum for a smooth running VDJ 5.1?

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 2:35 pm
Thanks SBDJ.

I do apologise for the misinformation. I was thinking of the Celron processor.

Just to throw things in the air a bit more I have an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13Ghz. It's actually a ViiV http://www.intel.com/products/viiv/index.htm

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 2:55 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Don't worry about it PFD50; people always get the two confused. Seems like an almost deliberate intention by Intel doesn't it ;)

dj-e-lectric wrote :
So if Intel has designed the components in a centrino system with a core 2 duo to "deliver better performance, longer battery life and broad wireless network interoperability" why should we avoid that, that sounds like a good thing to me? Also what cpu speed would you recommend as the minimum for a smooth running VDJ 5.1?

Don't avoid it, a Centrino system with a Core 2 Duo CPU is a good system. Avoid anything Celeron not Centrino ;)

CPU speed is dependant on several factors - video? master tempo? scratching? Don't ever scrimp on CPU power. I've run several systems on a Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz more than happily. My current primary VDJ laptop has a Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz :)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Wed 02 Jul 08 @ 7:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)