Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Soundcard configuration...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bedeh1Home userMember since 2004
Hi All - Firstly I apologise if this topis is already covered, I did search FAQs and forum but still have some questions...

I picked up a Numark DMC-1 (v1) on ebay and want to get my PC soundcard setup ready to go but I am seriously unsure of the best setup...

I believe I have two options for setup for live mixing (but please correct me if I am wrong):

1. Use a software (VirtualDJ) based mixer - this way I need two outputs from my PC, one for speakers and one for headphones

2. Use my Numark mixer to mix - this way I need two outputs to get the two channels from the PC into the mixer and then one line back into PC with mixer output. (To record and play through speakers - which are attached to my exisint PC soundcard).

Am I on the right track so far???

If so, here are my questions:

1. How effective is the software as a mixer - I like slaming slider back and forth and using transforms so I suspect software mixer would be limiting. Serioulsy thinking there could be a market for a simple USB attached slider with transform buttons - if such a thing exists please let me know :)

2. If I choose to use my Numark external mixer what is the best sound card configuration...? given:

- I have only 1 spare slot in my PC for a PCI card - so external sound card preferable
- My existing soundcard is completely populated (5.1 output) so I will need 2 additional lines out and 1 additional line in.

Does anybody rate the Soundblaster external cards - is there 1 external device I could buy with all these independent channels?

Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree???

Thanks so much for any assistance people can provide.

As a side note - does anybody know the differences between DMC-1 v1 and v2? (Just so I can kick myself for picking up the v1!!!)

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 7:13 pm
hi...

Best solution would be to use a 5.1 soundcard (USB, Cardbus or PCI), and use that to have 2x stereo output, one for each deck in Virtual DJ, and connect each to seperate channels at your external mixer.

You do not have to route the output from your mixer, back into the PC. The master out from your mixer could be connected to an amp, that have speakers connected

This is the club dj setup.

I have external Soundblaster USB cards, and they work just fine :)
The Audigy usb card is a 5.1 soundcard, that will give you all that you need
(and there are many other 5.1 soundcards, external, that will do fine)

hope that helps

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 9:06 am
The whole set up will not work with the demo version,you need the full version
Andre

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 10:08 am
Very true ;) this features are only supported in the full version of our software

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 11:03 am
bedeh1Home userMember since 2004
Hi Guys - thanks very much for your responces...

I understand I would need the full version of the software which is not a problem but I am only setting this up for home use so I would really like to take the output from my mixer and feed that back into my PC for recording and to output to my speakers...

So I need a soundcard (or multiple if that can be made to work) so I have two stereo outputs from my PC to my mixer - then an input from my mixer back to the PC - and finally an output (preferably 5.1) from my PC to my speakers...

Is there any configuration that people could recommend to be able to achieve this setup?

Thanks again for your help - I am really unsure of what soundcard etc I need to go buy :)

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 3:03 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's better to have 3 stereo outputs (You can use 2 soundcards if your 5.1 has only 2 outputs):

1) Deck 1
2) Deck 2
3) Sampler

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 11:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)