Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: NTFS or service pack 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
I just reformated my hard drive and it wouldn't let me do FAT 32 like I have run all along. Is there any issues with a NTFS formated hard drive? Also, how about xp pro with service pack 2?

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 4:55 pm
azawakhHome userMember since 2004
I haven't used anything else than NTFS since I started to use NT years ago, now I have win 2k and Xp. Abouth SP 2 there are problems with it and I wouldn't do it.
Look at this tread: http://start.prodj.com/viewtopic.php?t=19870

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 5:21 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You should use NTFS for better access to your hard drive and no problem with Virtual DJ

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 5:52 pm
Stay away form SP2! Beware.... I speak from experience.

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 5:57 pm
Two sides to every story ...i have no problem with xp pro spk2 vdj
Andre

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 6:46 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ive had no probs with sp2 either. but i did a total clean install and not just an update. duno if that makes a differance though. vdj runs totally fine

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 10:24 am

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 3:38 am
Hi everybody,
I use NTFS since WinNT 3.51 is existing. NTFS is more secure than Fat32. The speed is comparable, and I suggest you to convert your disk in NTFS.

"To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open the Command Prompt window.
In the command prompt window, type
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes

To open a command prompt, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command. " (Microsoft Help)

XP Pro is a good OS. I didn't had problem with SP2. However, I had problems with SP when I was with Win2k. I will just give you one tip: "When you run service pack install, please CLOSE ALL PROGRAMS". I think that Win XP SP2 currently a good and stable OS, but, Linux is better ;).

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 9:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)