Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: You DJ with a Laptop?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is the question that i get when i get newbies who come to the club?
Also during December I ended up doing corporate xmas parties(for the money of course)
When they see VDJ they all stare for a while then after a while i tell them to close their mouths that this program is avail 4 demo.hehe
Amazing reaction....does anybody else get this?
Andre

Posted Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 2:09 pm
yeah... Its like when the dj cd players came around. "Do you dj with CD's???"

Evolution will always bring questions from others ;)

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 10:22 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I get 2 kinds of responses.

From most: "Cool! You mean I can do this at home for $100??"

From those that own 4 pieces of vinyl and haven't turned on their tables in 2 years: "That's not DJing...you just push a button and it does it for you. Anybody can do that."

Then, I show them the basic turntable-like control functions and ask them to try it out if it is so easy. They shut up when the "super-easy-computer-mode" mix of theirs turns to garbage. =)

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 2:36 pm
What we can acheive is impossible with turntables and or cd players.
Andre

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 2:58 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree. You'd have to be one heck of a turntablist to get that remix feeling I love so much about digital DJ'ing with VDJ.

I get a lot of other DJ's that look down at my digital setup as being "too easy" then they spin 2 hours of trance from vinyl that consists of making a fade mix every 10-15 minutes. =)

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 3:24 pm
The djs that look down on you do not know what they are missing.I mean how hard is it to beat mix with turntables or cd players,While the dude is searching for a song in the vinyl or cd
category we can search thru hundreds of files,load some loops,search for samples,remix the freggin song playing (live) etc etc and if you can play a few chords on a keyboard along with
vdj .......KO vdj no contest
Andre

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 3:55 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I use timecoded cd's, and many times i see people look at my setup and try to understand what's going on... no cd disks to change..., and everytime i press a button in the cd player something is moving in the screen...
But i don't know what they are thinking...

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 8:40 pm
I bring a bunch of cd's with me. What are those for if you're on the computer I get asked.. My reply "for now for show... but if the computer goes down... then you'll see..."

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 9:59 pm
Are there any PCMCIA sound cards out there that support 2x line in and 2x line out?

At the moment I use a PC with 2 soundcards the line outs go to a mixer and the line ins come from the mixers outputs which have the timecoded or 'real' vinyl playing through them. I would like to keep this setup with my laptop but i can only find PCMCIA cards with single inputs/outputs.

Any help will be appreciated!

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 3:36 pm
Even with that set up you will still need the full version to be able to use both cards..
Andre

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 6:44 pm
Using VirtualDJ really is very easy after you spend a while with it though, especially in comparison to using vinyl. It's true that you need a basic ability to count beats (and correct VirtualDJ on most occasions) as the built in beat detection doesn't always get it right so the computer doesn't do it ALL for you, but using methods such as the beat matching wizard simplifies the process of creating a mix so much; especially if you set up the beat detection properly with all your music and then configure the Automix a little bit after setting up a playlist. You could have a full night of mixing whilst doing hardly anything.

Many people are probably sceptical that what you're playing could be a prerecorded mix and therefore you're not actually DJing. Similarly, using a computer and pressing a few buttons doesn't appear to the regular person to involve as much skill as a hands on feel with vinyl. I think this is why people are gobsmacked when they see people using something like Time Coded Vinyl, because it maintains that hands on approach whilst using a computer and no vinyl - still, there will always be sceptics who really ought to be enjoying the set rather than thinking the DJ can't actually DJ.

I think VirtualDJ is a brilliant program but it will never manage to become the DJs preferred medium when playing out in clubs simply because it's a computer program. It is necessary to encode the music (obviously) before it can be used effectively and there is always the possible risk of data corruption and harddrive failure etc. Also, a lot of songs released by small artists are only available on vinyl and many people lack the knowledge to transfer the music onto their PCs. On the subject of this, does VirtualDJ support FLAC and OGG? If not, I think that Atomix should definitely implement these formats, they are both better than MP3 and most importantly free; FLAC is a lossless codec which creates files smaller than WAV, so that would put an end to those MP3 DJs can't produce good quality sound debates.

Anyway that's the end of my 'little' rant, good luck to all out there!

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:08 am
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I always get the same reaction. "how are you playing mp3's through your vinyl turntables" lol
I use vdj two ways-
If i want to do a good set or record a cd with loads of effects and samples and loops, then i use the technical side of the program with the dj console, mouse and keyboard and cues

but when i feel that i want to get back to my vinyl roots then i just activate the timecoded vinyl and just use the mouse to load songs. I then use the needle dropping for cues, that way its just like using my vinyl without the obvious big boxes of records to search through lol.

thanks Virtual DJ, your program has something for everyone lol
PJay

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)