Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Ideas

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Theses are some ideas to improve VDJ:
- add a key lock
- the possibility of using 3 (or more) decks
- the possibility, in a recording mode, of listening a track, without recording it.

Posted Sat 11 Dec 04 @ 10:07 pm
Not sure what you mean by a key lock but I have one on my Numark 88 with speeds up the track keeping the pitch the same. VDJ has that.

Secondly, if you open up more than one session of vdj and network it in the network tab you can use four decks at one time.

Third, if you buy a USB headphone you will be able to listen without recording. OR obviously a gigaport into a regular mizer back into the input of the computer. Works terrific to create your own mixes and you can prelisten to songs in a recording mode.

Hope I helped with your wishes ;)

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 9:57 am
Concerning the "key lock": you can use timestretching to make sure the song's key doesn't change when you change the pitch (look in the "FAME Settings" page in the VDJ configuration, under "Time stretch". If you want to change the key without affecting the speed, I made a plugin a while ago that does this, just look in the effect plugins section.

About "3 or more decks": as vantinedj said, use the network sync option in VDJ. You can do this using the loopback interface (2 sessions on the same computer) or you can network it (VDJ will be synchronized (beatlock, etc.) on all the PC's running it in network sync mode).

Finally, if you want to cue songs (listen to the next song without it playing on the speakers), you'll need a second sound card, or a stereo splitter if you don't mind mixing in mono. Just look at the options in the Sound configuration panel.

macourteau

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 12:50 pm
idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 12:54 pm
Actually, that skin won't work with VirtualDJ 2.xx (as it's written in the description). You can have as many decks as you want if you use the network sync, and if your computer can handle it (just use the loopback interface 127.0.0.1 to sync with a 2nd instance of VirtualDJ loaded on your computer, or the other computer's IP if you want to network 2 computers with VirtualDJ).

macourteau

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 4:47 pm
idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey thanks macourteau! I did use that skin on an older demo version of VDJ, but I don't know HOW old.

I'll stop recommending it.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 5:43 pm
I had another interesting idea:

- the possibility to correct DJ'ing mistake by "returning in the past", when we are recording.

Posted Mon 13 Dec 04 @ 6:35 pm
Don't forget VirtualDJ is mainly for live performances, so "returning in the past" would not be useful in a live performance... And I don't see how this could be done, you would have to supply a time to go back, etc...

The best thing you can do is practice, so you won't make mistakes ;)

macourteau

Posted Mon 13 Dec 04 @ 9:53 pm
You have an answer to everything macourteau!
However, I'm always thinking it's an interresting idea to keep a memrory of the past (10-20 secondes) to correct past mistakes. We should ask ourselves: "Why VDJ existing?". Is-it not to help DJ's by giving them an easy way to mix?

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 6:00 am
all you need is a macro that will reverse the mix 16 bars or something simmilar. This could be done by skipping both decks back 16 bars each and taking the recording file back to the frame that was being recorded 16 bars ago. I think that the later would require improvements to the recorder plugin and a new action or two, but other than that it is totaly feasable and would not imapact on the performance of vdj while playing live while increasing the functionality tenfold.

Posted Wed 15 Dec 04 @ 7:28 pm
You're forgetting about the modifications made to all the knobs/faders while mixing also, that would have to be reversed as well (along with effect changes, samples might have changed as well, etc.)...

Posted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 7:53 am
i would like to see vdj have the option of having more than 2 decks operating on one pc so mixing would be easier and better. and how about playing two cue points simultanously

Posted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 9:11 am
Dj_Juelz: this option is available in the full legal version.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 12:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)