Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Latency Adjustment - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I want Latency Adjustment on VirtualDJ

what the hell? All professional DJ programs have Latency Adjustment so that the user can tweak the program for different sound cards. Let me explain:

I hear noises! with my echo indigo card, with my Hercules DJ console, with my XP10's. POPS and clicks and noises in the audio

yes I "tweaked" the system
yes the interrupts are not shared (USB is on IRQ 6, nothing else)
yes I tried different sound cards
yes I tried different tracks
yes I disabled time stretching
yes I changed the max load time to none
yes I turned my graphics card acceleration to none
yes I stopped all the unnecessary services
yes I have NO antivirus or other program running
yes I disabled the on board AC97 sound card
yes I installed the via 4 in 1 drivers
yes I deragmented my HDD
yes I disabled the Limiter
yes I tried ASIO (and VDJ just crashes, always has always will)

shall I continue?

I tried everything and still hear POPS, clicks and static when listening *real* close with headphones. Especially noticable when I play tracks that are quiet in the beginning (doo wop that thing - lauryn hill)

I can not change the sound card sample rate on sound cards like the HDC. With the HDC it is locked 48 khz not 44.1 !?

What the hell? Imagine using this in a club with thousands of watts behind you -- you would be able to hear it

Does anyone have true 100% static free sound? How did you do it?

I am not even talking about skipping, that is another subject

WirelessDJ

Posted Sat 11 Dec 04 @ 7:54 pm
i have noticed this static in my sound too.

what is with that?

Posted Sat 11 Dec 04 @ 8:12 pm
>what is with that?

I would guess it is one of the following:

1. POOR QUALITY SOUND ENGINE of VirtualDJ
2. Sample rate converson. Some sound cards are locked at 48Khz. Meaning that any mp3 encoded at 44.1 has to be re-sampled to 48.0.

a) Hercules DJ Console - LOCKED at 48 Khz.
b) Echo Indigo DJ - Can be locked at 44.1 or 48 Khz
c) XP10 - ??? Anyone know ???

I want clean sound!!

WirelessDJ

Posted Sat 11 Dec 04 @ 8:17 pm
Try isolating the ground wire of you power supply.Purchase a two prong adapter to osolate the ground on your three prong power supplys .You have a ground loop problem.

Posted Sat 11 Dec 04 @ 10:10 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have maya 44 usb and the sound is great ....very good without problems
NO CLICKS - NO POPS

Posted Sat 11 Dec 04 @ 11:49 pm
Wireless,

I know you have tried different sound cards, but get yourself a Delta66 or Delta44. Asio works great with these without any clicks or pops. When using the regular (not asio) drivers you don't hear clicks or pops either. They are going for 150.00 now. Just sell one of yours and try a delta66. You won't be dissapointed.

Killabee44

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 1:51 am
I STAND CORRECTED:

Upon further inspection, it appears that only USB sound cards have the terrible popping/clicking/noise problem with VDJ. I hooked up to a Soundtech Power Source 800 with two EV sx200 speakers and CRANKED IT UP real loud. The echo indigo DJ card is pristine. Perfect, no noise.

However, I would like to use the hercules dj console sound card so the built in cue monitor works

Anyone have any ideas??

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 11:54 am
Like I said isolate all your grounds on your devices and your poping sound will go away. I had the same problems and now no more poping. Also using cheap cables can be a source of your problems. Ground loops are a problem with turntables also.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 1:22 pm
Wireless,

I really think you have a conflict in your system. I went through the same thing for about three weeks in the middle of wedding season with one of my systems. When I was home and connected to the internet the sound was crisp, no pops. When I went on the road the songs would skip. Not only VDJ but also PCDJ. It ended up being my wireless lan. I now have to shut it off (disconnect the lan) and I no longer have that problem. When I want to connect to the net I simply turn it back on.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 2:15 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Along with isolating your ground...insure that your mic gains are turned down. Even if the mics aren't plugged in, some mixers will produce white noise when the gains are up.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 2:19 pm
It cant be the grounding. I can hear it with headphones. I also tried disabling all devices that were not in use

modem
wifi
ethernet
on board audio

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 2:55 pm
You have to isolate the problem. Use the same soundcard with another program. Does it still happen? Try everything. You say it is just the one soundcard. Try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. I know it's a pain. I've been there too. Tweaks really will not help this problem. Do you have PCDJ or ractor. Try that same soundcard on those programs... Good Luck..

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 3:12 pm
The sound is coming from all your power sources.If they have a ground wire it causes a ground loop which causes your sound card to humm and pop.Also go to your sound settings and mute everthing not needed.It took me awhile to figure out the problems I had .Also try not to cross cables and use filters whenever possible.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 3:36 pm
i get a strange feedback when my maya 44 USB is connected to my PC.

its a buzz sound. before i even open a program. its a digital buzz sound.

anyone know what this is??
it sure is a pain

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 4:01 pm
I had the same problem and solved it by buying ground isolation RCA jacks. The jacks come with a built in transformer. I use them to conect my HERCULES CONSOLE to the AMP. Sometimes when I use an external mixer as a PRE AMP, I run the mixer to the AMP. with the jacks. No noise so far. Got them at RADIOSHACK.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 4:51 pm
Bought a ground loop isolater from radio shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-054

Oddly enough, I get more hum with the isolator than without ;-)

I still have the pops and clicks. I tried another DJ program and the problem happens with BPM studio as well -- so it is not just VirtualDJ

I am re-installing my laptop, this time with win2k instead of XP

If this doesnt work I don't know what else I can try. My laptop will not allow me to install without ACPI. Tried it and the HDD does not show up during windows setup

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 5:14 pm
1. PROBLEM RESOLVED:

I installed Win2k instead of XP. The prior XP installation was fresh installed but still did not work well with VDJ (yes it had sp2 pre-installed). I guess win2k is better suited toward audio than XP for this machine.

For the most part, the clicks and pops are GONE. I can still hear some static when bending or scratching, this happens regardless of what controller or sound card I am using. I will chalk this up to VDJ's sound engine not being so great.

2. NEW PROBLEM CREATED:

The headphone on the HDC works!! but is very low compared to when I was running XP. I can barely hear it. It was much louder than this!! I don't see how the operating system can make a difference.

--> Is there a place to adjust the GAIN in VDJ for the HDC cue monitor? The volume at the top of the screen is already maxed out. If I am to use this setup I have to go buy a headphone amplifier to get around this until it is fixed in VDJ software

Thank you for all the help
WirelessDJ

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 6:12 pm
Wireless, you stand corrected on several fronts.

However, as vantinedj mentioned earlier, you must isolate your problem without radical changes if you are to find the root cause. I can assure you that installing Win2K is not a good solution.

You also mentioned earlier that USB Sound Devices seem to exhibit the problem. Keeping in mind that USB audio is "streamed", your symptoms may point to a streaming problem where processes on your machine are interferring with that stream.

Generally, it sounds like you have more of a problem with the hardware (PC) you are using than anything else. I would suggest looking in your machine's BIOS settings to see that the USB port parameters are normal and disable anything that looks fancy.

p.s. WinXP SP2 is not important for audio applications. It is geared toward Windows security and in some cases have caused problems for some applications. I would try vDj without XP.SP2.

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 7:33 pm
Since win2k seems to have done the trick with the majority of the noise associated with usb sound cards, I am going to try win2k on the book PC to see if it also improves the stability of the program.

I have tried 3 different computers (Dell Dimension desktop, Biostar cube PC, Averatec laptop), 3 sound cards (Maya44, Echo Indigo DJ, HerculesDJ Console), and 3 controllers (including two xp10's, DAC-2, HerculesDJConsole) and still I able to crash VDJ. I can crash VDJ by loading a track and scratching very rapidly (with any controller). Another way I can cause a crash is by using the built-in effects too much.

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 9:35 pm
@WirelessDJ,

Your experiences seem unique, since the large majority of vDJ users don't seem to have your "crash" experiences on so many different machines.

I have to think that you must either be running favorite program that unfortunately does not get along with apps like vDJ, or have some sort of abnormality you create when you setup your environment.

When you setup these PCs, are you installing the OS & vDJ only ? If you are and using especially the Indigo DJ, you should have no problems. Your situation is beginning to sound..... well... unfortunate if none of your 3 PCs will work ok with vDJ for you.

Again, your troubleshooting should be a process of elimination. Setup the PC with OS only, then vDJ. I always try to only add apps to the environment that are ABSOLUTELY necessary. If you don't have the luxery of dedicating a machine to vDJ, thats going to be unfortunate too for obvious reasons.

-out

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 10:47 pm
95%