Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Analyzed All My Songs - screwed them up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Man I'm depressed right now. I analyzed all my songs overnight last night. I look at them today and they are all screwed up. Songs that are 145 (because I remember) are showing up in the 60's. I don't know all the songs bpm's and I know i can set them manually. They were more accurate before I scanned them. Please, Please don't tell me I have to re rip all these from CD's to get closer to accurate bpm's now. Please don't tell me this...who has the time.

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 1:16 am
Man, I feel for you...

Its a ton of work. Like another full time job. The only thing I can advise is to try the mixmeister bpm program and see if that one gets you better results. B.t.w... Did you try the different bpm settings in the config? (Like hip hop, all music, etc.)

Killabee44

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 4:05 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
DO NOT RIP THEM AGAIN!

it's not your tracks that are screwed up (the mp3 files are left untouched by the VDJ analysis, unlike with programs like mixmeister), it's just the BPM analysis that is faulty in some cases.
Sort by BPMs, and re-analyze only those that seem faulty (BPM way too low or way too high) using a different bpm setting as suggested Killabee44

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 8:08 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
That does happen with the higher BPM tracks in some cases.
Usually it is doubled which i means you just cut it in half.

This BPM engine is the bomb IMO, it has uncovered many errors in sleeve listed BPMs.

If I could have one thing changed it would be to broaden the range a bit. I have songs below 50 and some above 200 that will never analyze properly because of this.

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 1:34 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This BPM engine is the bomb ....
mmmmmmmmm I think you are wrong
or am I getting lost something ?

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 4:19 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree that the BPM engine is great, at least for the kind of music I play (whether house, techno, acid-jazz, hip-hop, jungle, dubs, the beats are almost always electronic or sequenced).

Since v2.01 and the new beat detection algorithm, I can honestly say that if the track has a constant BPM from end-to-end, then VDJ will get it right. Sometimes, when it's obviously wrong, you have to re-analyze after switching the BPM detection method and it'll get it right then.

The tracks it cannot get right, I can't either. It's usually due to a non-constant tempo (human drummer, or track ripped from a shitty-ass belt-drive turntable whose rotation speed isn't constant) or a voluntary tempo-change in the track. VDJ will then give you its best approximation, but don't expect those CBG squares to stay right under the beats from begining to end :)

Where I think there might be room for improvement is phase detection (where is the first beat of the measure). When it's simply four-on-the-floor drums, VDJ gets it right, but if the measures are based on the bass for example, VDJ will often use the drums or snares as reference. But then again, is a perfect algorithm for this even possible? we're more getting into AI than sound processing :)

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 5:03 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well said Bambi...I did find out that some of my problem tracks were halved. I changed them manually on the BPM screen and they now seem ok. Just don't know why that occurred. To your point, the normal stuff that the beatlock works on...analysed fine. The stuff that I can't get the lock to work on had most of the problems. Bad for me since a couple hundred tracks fit that description. I guess since it's so hard to spell algorithim it must be even harder to get one for BPM's perfect. I'm happy I found out a bunch are halved...the other ones I'm not sure what to do with.

Posted Sun 05 Dec 04 @ 3:58 am
well........i have to say something here and i KNOW i am WAY out of my league here. when i have added a bunch of tunes to atomix and for some reason or another do not do a detailed scan on them i know if i play them for about 2 minutes each the program will find the beat and record it...maybe VDJ will do the same?...i do not know...good luck

Posted Sun 05 Dec 04 @ 3:32 pm
Man-TK........i think there may be a language barrier here....you do not know what " Da Bomb " means in english...both V.D.J. and Atomixmp3 are the bomb man...

Posted Sun 05 Dec 04 @ 3:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)