Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mobile DJ MP3 Licence

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Having been a mobile dj for sometime I recently bought the Hercules DJ unit and use it with Virtual DJ that came supplied.
It seemed at the time the perfect soloution to carring boxs of CD's around with me, ie Put all my CD's onto the computer and away we go.
However I recently learnt that the MCRS state that the normal PRS performance licence does not cover this as the origanal performance has been changed and copied onto another format. This then means that an SG6 licence is required which costs a yearly fee, paying for and logging all the music I would play.

I am aware of many new DJ's use ipod type units to take their songs to a pub or club and use this to play from. I cant belive that all these people have SG6 licence's and log all the songs used (and pay for them).

Has anyone views or a better understanding of this issue???

Cheers

Posted Tue 30 Nov 04 @ 1:55 am
First, assuming that you are located in the US, the rules, as of a few months ago (as I understand them) are as follows:

A mobile DJ playing at a private event does not need the SG6 license since. The fact that he paid for his tracks legally is enough. Now playing at a club/bar is another story. There you will need the proper sg6, etc.

Posted Tue 30 Nov 04 @ 2:25 am
The clubs licence is all you need . That cover all music including the jukebox played in the establishment unless the dont have one.If they have a jukebox they have one unless they are illegal.

Posted Tue 30 Nov 04 @ 10:01 am
Thanks for the replys. I am in the United Kingdom if that helps.

Posted Tue 30 Nov 04 @ 12:47 pm
the club or establishment should have ASCAP or BMI

Posted Tue 30 Nov 04 @ 8:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)