Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Shure M44-7

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've just purchased 2 Shure M44-7 for use with timecodes. I've ordered the ones that come pre-mounted on a headshell as i needed headshells too and it worked out cheaper that way.

As you guys probably know, there are 2 ways of installing the cartridge. Shure describe them as Standard DJ Set Up and Unorthodox DJ Set Up.

I imagine this has a lot to do with preference, so i'd like to ask who uses what?

It states the Standard way is to mount the cartridge at the rear of the headshell with no weight and tracking force 3g.

The Unorthodox setup says to mount the cartridge flush with the front of the headshell with 3g weight and reverse the counterweight and sit it flush with the end of the tone arm.

So my question is, how do you guys set up? I won't be scratching, but there will be a lot of cueing.

Gary

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 1:05 pm
Me and everyone I know have set-up unorthodox for 20 years now, and lots of us use Shure M44-7's.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 1:28 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
ConQuest wrote :
Me and everyone I know have set-up unorthodox for 20 years now, and lots of us use Shure M44-7's.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Cheers Conquest. Its just that i want to set up my cartridge before i get there. Do you angle the cartridge at the recommended 23 degrees or whatever it is? If so how do you get it accurate? Is there a template available or something, as i don't have any special tools.

Gary

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 1:48 pm
The 23 degree angle makes it so that the needle compensates for the curve in the tone arm. A friend of mine has done this in the past for me and most of the DJ's I know (that use the 44-7's) that don't use timecode, run them at 23 degrees. I currently use the Ortofon Q-Berts but do own a set of the 44-7's. When I do use the Shure's I and use them the conventional way as I don't want to burn through timecoded vinyl. The thing is that we are now in the 'digital age' using timecode and relative mode. ConQuest is more of a Turntablist and prob pretty rough on needles. If your going to be just using your needles for minimal scratches on timecoded vinyl and mostly mixing, just make sure you level everything out and than adjust the weight properly. Those needles won't bounce alot and if they by chance do...your in relative mode.

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 3:31 pm
I have install my shure without the 23 degree because i have a direct tone arm (Numark TTX-1). I have installed like the standard DJ Set Up and i do scratching alot. It works very fine for me.

If you have new shure needlz, make sure that you run them for two or three hours before you do some scratch moves. After this time the neddlz never never jump when you scratch or something like that.

Posted Fri 19 Oct 07 @ 11:33 am
Is there a specific program set up For vdj7 ,serato timecode using shure m447.
Vdj8 doesn't reconize shurem477

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 3:17 am
jtorres575 wrote :
Is there a specific program set up For vdj7 ,serato timecode using shure m447.
Vdj8 doesn't reconize shurem477

Then you don't have them calibrated properly because I have mine setup with the new timecodes and a set of 447's and they track just fine. Same can be said with VDJ 7 which I've gone back to for the moment.

Read manual and try again.

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 5:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)