Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Norway gives Nobel Peace Prize to Al Gore & U.N.'s Panel on Climate Change - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 6:34 pm
very nice personal touch for you to give it to him ........

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 6:45 pm
lol ;) the least I could do ..hehe

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 6:48 pm
did you hear about the full page ad ($65,000) in the New York Times ??? there's some Americans wanting him to run for President ..... myself included

anyway , we all know global warming is bad science ...... ya know all those 6.5 billion people on the planet ?? they don't generate even a single BTU of heat ........ it's amazing

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:01 pm
Not true, I believe we are contributing to the Warming. I think it is a little over exagertated, BUT, from all teh pics and everything that's been happenning lately, you can see we are starting to feel the effects.

Nice guy that Gore isn't he? He was suppose to be our President.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:09 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
That was a nice gesture Norway.

I'm not sure what to think of global warming, one week its serious, the next its not as bad as believed. What's next? smoking is bad for you? geez

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:13 pm
SpeedDemond29 wrote :

Nice guy that Gore isn't he? He was suppose to be our President.

Seems like a nice guy for sure ;) Shame he didnt get the role as President..

Global environment problems, how serious they are or not, doesnt really matter. We need to do SOMETHING so that the problem will not be dead serious in the distant future. And Al Gore been one great ambassador for that fight :)

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:20 pm
exactly .... i was being sarcastic ........about the global warming ........ Bush did finally cave on this , but only to the extent that he conceded that human activity is causing global warming....... he still wants voluntary restrictions ...... why didn't i think of that ?? all important values of a society are voluntary ...... voluntary vaccines , education , voluntary speed limits ........

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:24 pm
hehe ;)
yeah.. but glad he's movin on the topic at least:)

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 7:48 pm

DISCLAIMER / WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT. DEAL WITH IT IN YOUR OWN WAY.

sorry guys - just not impressed.
Gore didnt win this award by himself, it was a team effort. and any "celebrity" that wants to raise awareness about something will impress me more if they go out and DO something.
want to impress me about how much you care about the environment?
stop flying and driving around the world in fossil fuel burning luxury vehicles. even a moped pollutes, but i dont see Gore pedaling from an airport to go grab part of that $100k.
give up any form of technology that causes pollution and show me how it works without trying to make a buck off of it.
give up using oil - if you can. its not just going in your car - organic polymers are still too expensive, so anything made of plastic is still sucking the earth dry. which would mean kissing those TCV's goodbye, along with computers, cd's, mixers... pretty much everything u dj with.
global warming? hmm. rising temperatures and oceans in a runaway greenhouse effect. gonna get warmer for awhile, which means less clothing, people wanting to look better in less clothing.. more MILFs per square acre? works for me.
give up the future - the only renewable and sustainable source of power is in orbit: solar power, but of course since spacecraft cause some pollution i dont see that happening soon. large scale, high yield orbital farms could feed the ENTIRE planet and have a 365 day growing season.
and if you still need plastics... there are these great big planets out there whose atmosphere is mostly hydrocarbons... and what is oil?...

al gore can take a flying leap at the donut that bill clinton was chasing.

arnold schwarzenegger for pres!

(this is what happens when you go off on a caffiene fueled rant having only a coupld hours sleep. could have been worse. they could have given one to paris hilton!)

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 8:05 pm
Gotta agree somewhat on that;) but although Gore is not living up to what he preaches himself, he does raise awareness all over the world..

He's been on World tour for Global awareness (not only environment), so even if he lives the "celeb" life, he is an icon for a movement..

and the prize wasnt' to him alone.. Think Norway made a clear statement, when they devided the Prize between Gore and UN Panel. Its about the movement, and not about Gore as a person. So if he chooses to drive a limo to the airport, doesnt really matter...

Its about the movement for global changes.

And unlike you, I totally believe that human polution, and the way the rich world lives, changes global climate... No doubt what so ever. I used to live in clean North.. Norway was as unpolluted as North Pole , and now winters here have gone.. no snow most places.

It could be natural changes, but it could be human. And we cant take the chance and do nothing, in case its human.... Guess you gotta have the changes right in your face, to really see we gotta care and try change, and to believe it is already started.

Gore got my vote.. anytime! Saw him speak here in Norway some months ago. Just amazing knowledge, and person...

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 8:14 pm
I was happy to see this news, although I think we're going to face an ice age minor (google: "the little ice age") at the very least because of the inaction over the years to combat the effects (the atlantic has already begun being flooded with freshwater). It's amazing some folks on other unnamed message boards still insist "the science on global warming is out", regardless global climate has risen a degree & a half in under 20 years, which if the runaway warming theory concerning the Permian mass extinction is correct, puts us nearly half way to mass extinction. I get so frustrated with the people who say "nothjing catastrophic will happen", those are people who clearly haven't weighed all the possible outcomes and want to excuse themselves for not caring or contributing to a sollution.

Ehh, enough of my rant, it's good to see the world taking notice;^]

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 8:27 pm
Timmyg1978 wrote :

, it's good to see the world taking notice;^]

Much thanks to Gore and UN Pannel.. and reason they got the Prize.

What does Peace have to do with global environment? Well almost all wars are fought over lack of resources (water/food/oil/etc) (+ religion)
And if things get worse, more wars will come.. so defo a Peace Prize.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 8:30 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
Gotta agree somewhat on that;) but although Gore is not living up to what he preaches himself, he does raise awareness all over the world..

He's been on World tour for Global awareness (not only environment), so even if he lives the "celeb" life, he is an icon for a movement..

and the prize wasnt' to him alone.. Think Norway made a clear statement, when they devided the Prize between Gore and UN Panel. Its about the movement, and not about Gore as a person. So if he chooses to drive a limo to the airport, doesnt really matter...

Its about the movement for global changes.

And unlike you, I totally believe that human polution, and the way the rich world lives, changes global climate... No doubt what so ever. I used to live in clean North.. Norway was as unpolluted as North Pole , and now winters here have gone.. no snow most places.

It could be natural changes, but it could be human. And we cant take the chance and do nothing, in case its human.... Guess you gotta have the changes right in your face, to really see we gotta care and try change, and to believe it is already started.

Gore got my vote.. anytime! Saw him speak here in Norway some months ago. Just amazing knowledge, and person...

never said we werent responsible for alot of it. i'll even take full responsibility for a 1/2 degree in temperature rise - between the 1979 dodge station wagon i had once, and the friday & saturday nights at work (shameless plug!) and getting steamed over trying to make 5rev4 work right so we can use it at work, i've contributed to turning up the heat some.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 8:38 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
i'll even take full responsibility for a 1/2 degree in temperature rise - between the 1979 dodge station wagon i had once, and the friday & saturday nights at work (shameless plug!) and getting steamed over trying to make 5rev4 work right so we can use it at work, i've contributed to turning up the heat some.

loooool ;) VDJ takes partly responsibility for your pollution then.. hehe

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 8:41 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think that the Global warming issue of oil and emissions should NOT be separated from pollution in general (i.e. contamination and excess wastage), pollution is just as dangerous and contributes towards the earths instability, Bombs and gas aren't good for the environment either (especially not peoples health), but it's very profitable and that matters more to some.

You see the world isn't governed by well intentioned people, most of the people in power lead self indulgent life styles and seek only to improve their life and their life time, it takes a selfless person to give something up for the benefit of the generations which may proceed them, seldom would such a person have any power, their was once a time when the words "good" and "bad" were clearly understood and distinguished, but now it's fashionable to believe that what's bad is actually good, and what's good is actually bad.

For example, it was once seen that violence was bad, but now we live in a culture that's addicted to violence, people beat people up and film it on their phones (to send to others that find it impressive), nowadays if someone collapses in the street, it's more likely passers by will take a picture on their phone than they would help (in some countries), people used to give to the homeless, but now they've been branded as druggies and alcoholics, "It's their fault they are there" and "they have a choice", what all of them? How do you actually know if someone isn't in desperate need? It’s more useful you save that coin for your next CD.

This is the people that we are, we are ALL selfish, including me, but I have a limit and I will help people if I can, but those that govern the countries are those who've never experienced poverty, most of them have never lived in the real world, they've been brought up inside a bubble and taught a game, the game of God, how many elected politicians truly serve the people? How many keep the promises they made during their election campaign?

We will continue to destroy this planet, the efforts that some good willed people do still leave a MASSIVE deposit, the global emissions are INCREASING, even during this time when we read about "green" in every general magazine we read, and the issue is all over the TV, lots of people doing good things, but those efforts are no greater than a grain of sand on a vast beach.., politicians give pennies to this cause and we need pounds.

The way I look at it is this: at times of extreme danger, you need to take extreme action, and the days of extreme political action (for the sake of good) are over.

Sorry for my cynical view, I do think it's possible to make the changes, but the current political climate (and recent history) points towards disaster.

What do I think of Gore? Great man, the best president the U.S.A never had.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 9:40 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
wildcountryclub wrote :
i'll even take full responsibility for a 1/2 degree in temperature rise - between the 1979 dodge station wagon i had once, and the friday & saturday nights at work (shameless plug!) and getting steamed over trying to make 5rev4 work right so we can use it at work, i've contributed to turning up the heat some.

loooool ;) VDJ takes partly responsibility for your pollution then.. hehe

damn skippy it does!
my mixes are better than ever, i dont have to waste time running back & forth and loading cd's, i can type in a request on the sidelist with one hand and chain smoke with the other, and still hit on the customers girlfriends and all the single army wives while their men are in iraq.... not that i would actually do that....

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 10:12 pm
^ Proof that bad became good, and good became bad hehe.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 10:29 pm
give yourself to the dark side... we get laid more.

i'm all for saving the planet. and i actually do stuff to re-use, recycle, drive a car i only have to tank up once a month no matter how ridiculous it looks, etc. and here's a lovely bit of trivia: all that extra methane in the atmosphere lately? farts. cattle and people. amazing.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 10:54 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
give yourself to the dark side... we get laid more.

I'm happily married actually but thanks for the invite ;).

Posted Fri 12 Oct 07 @ 11:02 pm
42%