Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I need some help..

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My machine is on it's way out. After almost 3 years (June) of daily use, my motherboard is fading. Connecting and disconnecting twice a day, has worn out my usb ports. My serial port is lose, and no longer works. So, I bought the same motherboard, and want to switch it out. I got it on eBay, so it is used, and it had the same p4 3.0 processor I have, installed. I just want this to hold me over till I build my new machine. The reason I got the same motherboard, is because it works. Why fool around with a good thing. So, I need to know what to do. Can I just change it and boot up, I don't think so. I need step by step instructions, because I don't know shit. No big words either. Thanks

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 6:54 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You should get a manual with your new board. This clearly instructs you on all connections that should be made. If you don't get a manual, you should be able to get one easily of the net at the manufacturer's website. If you follow the book from the word go you should be ok.

If you just make sure that all jumper settings on the board (if available) are correct (manual will advise of these) and you clear the CMOS etc I think you'll be ok. As your OS is on a hard drive, you should find it to work fine. Some board have multiple Chip FSB settings which can be defined using jumpers as well...so make sure these are correct too before finally turning everything on.

Remember and make sure that your BIOS is ok for your chip. If the BIOS was updated for your last board, you may want to think about doing that for the new one, although this isn't always necessary. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

In any case, it may be within your best interest to back up everything before you do any work.

When you turn it on and it works good it's the best feeling in the world...(",)

Good luck!!!

P

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 10:46 am
Windows will look for the serial # that it recorded when it was installed on your sys.

when I changed MOBO's I had to re-install in repair mode.

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 1:46 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if u still are stuck feel free to msn me at admin@skyfxlmedia.com

i am a A+ certified Sytems enginer so changing mobo's

is a common ocurance for me :)

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 3:21 pm
1. Back up what, everything on the c drive?

2. Should I just take this time to do a clean install of XP? What problems am I going to run into? Am I gonna have to contact Microsoft?

3. I believe the BIOS is an updated version, because the manual, and CD have revised numbers. Any advice?

4. It's the same motherboard, so the mechanics will not be a problem. I got lucky the first build, and just think my luck may have run out.

I have a new SFF box, that I was gonna use for my new machine. However, it will need some modding, if I use a 7900 nVidia card. I have also seen some other boxes since then, so maybe I will use this box. It will also allow me to use a bigger PSU, since the one in the case I have now, is only 300w.

None of this is gonna happen until Friday night, because I am supposed to be off this weekend. I just got a last minute call for Saturday, but they want me to do everything, so I don't think it's gonna happen.
So, I am just trying to get my ducks in line.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Posted Wed 21 Mar 07 @ 10:46 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I changed my CPU last year to my current version and was advised to repair my install, but I wouldn't trust a 'repaired install' - man, it even sounds bad.

If I were you, I'd format your OS drive and do a clean install. If you have all your music on a seperate hard drive you'll be fine with this as you'll be able to just plug the drive back into the system when you're done. If your music is all on the OS disc, transfer it to a back up drive (perhaps on another computer?) and then format the drive. Then install your OS as normal, any other software and then send the music back onto it from your other machine. (I'm not too sure about the setup with SATA drives, but certainly with IDE drives, this should work).

I use a small home network just between my home machine and gig machine for the purpose of ripping cd's and transferring the music to my gig machine. It's relatively easy to do this using windows and apart from anything else, you always have a back up of your entire library.

Good luck...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Thu 22 Mar 07 @ 12:35 pm
Only the OS and programs are on this drive. I will give it a try. What's the worst that could happen? Wait, don't answer that. Do you smell something burning?

Posted Thu 22 Mar 07 @ 9:25 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
make sure you ground ur self while changing components by touching the pc case for 30 secs or so

before touching components or you could electrostaticaly fry ur pc ahh!

Posted Thu 22 Mar 07 @ 10:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)