Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: gigaport versus m-audio

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

howdy all

what sound card would you all say sounds the best. I see the gigaport gets a lot of support on this site.
Is it easier to set up than the fast track pro and does it sound better or does the gigaport sound about the same as the fast trac pro.

thanks for your input
musicman

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 7:14 am
The gigaport is a lower end high end card... better than onboard sound, but not quite up to "Professional" sound card specs. It's a very versatile card, as it works in both windows drivers, or as an asio unit with the esi driver package. it has 8 out which is great for VDJ, and it's a rock solid card. no sound drops, crackles or anything...

I own 8 of them, and couldn't be happier...

the Fasttrack pro? Definitely has better sound, but it also has it's quirks...

for example... every time I boot up the laptop I have to choose the soundcard in VDJ.
also, any small static discharge causes the sound card to detatch from windows, thus requiring a reboot.
also, it crackles and pops like a mother.. I have used it on 3 different systems, an HP Pavillion Lappy, A Compaq, and a MACBook Pro. it does the same on all of them... MAudio Support saya that the drivers still need work...

I don't know.. i know two people who love their fasttracks, but I personally have been disappointed.

I know how to fix anything having to do with audio and computers, but this card has given me a run for my money.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 2:51 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Steve Lynch wrote :

I don't know.. i know two people who love their fasttracks, but I personally have been disappointed

I would be one of them....

The FTP is a bit more of a mixer than just a sound card.
It has 2 mic inputs and a phone output mixer build it with gain control and line mixer for mic inputs.
It also has balanced outputs for crystal clear sound.

As Steve states, it has static weaknesses, this has happened to me and one other dj I know.
The solution to this is to not make or break connections live.
Although it doesn't have stereo inputs for tcv or secondary back up sound such as an ipod or cd player, I found patching my ipod into a mic input in mono works great.
It also has full pass through signal capability, so it doesn't need windows to function.
In the event of a pc (or mac) problem, you retain the ability to keep sound and microphones up.

Pretty happy aside from the static problem however.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 6:00 pm
i bought a fast track pro and i am happy with the sound. what i can't figure out though is that one cd deck is loader than the other and i have to turn the gain up really high on the low volume deck. does anyone know how i can even the two gains out. i've tried every sound card config in vdj not sure where to go from here.

musicman

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 6:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)