Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Volume difference between VDJ and Standard CD Players

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've been useing VDJ for quite a while now and I've always had a minor problem with volume levels comparred to the Pioneer cd decks at the club.

The Pioneer's kick out A LOT more Volume. I had the same issue with the HDJC. but assumed it was a HDJC thing.

Is it a soundcard issue?
should I upgrade?
I use an external mixer so it's set up in 6.1 mode 3 channel out and to get relly nice volume levels I have to crank my channel gains compleatly up.

or is it a sttings issue? - I have gain set to Always 0

Just always wondered about this.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Sat 20 Jan 07 @ 9:49 pm
I've found no matter what sound card you use, CD/DVD players will always output a hotter signal than your sound card. It's not just you because I've noticed it too.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 1:13 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Never noticed any difference, I just use the Gain on the mixer to reach the desired level, but it's never an issue, the sound quality and output level in the club is very simular between CD & PC.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 3:04 am
Infact, the soundcard does determine the volume output of VDJ. My proof: I use an AG Gigaport and a Presonous Firebox. the Gigaport puts out a volume lower than CD players, yet the Firebox CRAAANKS. I mean a comfortable headphone volume level for CD players would blow your eardrums if kept for the channel with the firebox. this was remedies using Windows volume control settings.

Posted Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 3:11 am
I might try changing my soundcard - but changing to a high end - low latencey - asio enabled -soundcard doesn't makes sense for me as I don't use timecodes, and only use a DAC-2.

I do get a good volume but only when the gain is cranked fully up on every channel.

Only thing I can't figure out is the lack of line gain. All channels are cranked up full, wave input is cranked.

I'm still having troubles with the autoplay so tomorrow night I'll check the volume when it's a little slower. maybe get some answers

Posted Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 5:31 am
the firebox really does crank if that's what you need.......i have never seen an example of a card with good sound that wasn't low latency also but correct me if i'm wrong.....anyway you can give yourself a lobotomy w/ the headphone out....... i ended up getting it because a guy i trust at guitar center said it sounds great has 3 outs and was firewire....

Posted Sun 21 Jan 07 @ 8:44 pm
chucknorrisyouwimps: did youhave any problems configuring the firebox with TCCDs? (if that is what you use)

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 3:39 am
sorry i didn't get back sooner i was at the club.....i can't help you w/ that i'm not using tccd......i had to do a lot of tweaks to the laptop to make the firebox happy but that's because the operating system is xp media center edition.......mce last edition of xp really stinks

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 8:38 am
gonna have to change to a higher end soundcard to get more line volume therefore having to use less gain on the channel.

pity though, didn;t think i would have to considering the lack of timecode use.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 07 @ 10:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)