Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 1st gig over - Now I need HELP!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

OK - where do I begin. Purchased laptop on friday, loaded software everything seemed fine. tested until saturday night everything ok. So i'm ready for gig sunday. In my wisdom I decide to purchase pro version late sat. night so I download and install. I thought that it would automatically replace the home edition - but it didn't - I tried to uninstall the home edition but this didn't work to well either. Anyway after testing my pro version it seemed fine apart from when i pressed the sync button ( on console) it jumped back a block instead of locking to the nearest like it did with the home edition. I can live with this as I use pitch bend anyway.

OK on to the gig ...... I set everything up with an hour to spare - so I have a couple of drinks to ease the nerves. Then I check everything again. This time I notice a loud noise when there is no music playing - maybe hard drive / power / fan !! panic - noisy laptop!! not only that but when I go to play a track the arm moves onto the record but refuses to play !!!! then I get active x or sound error message (im not sure about this as I was panicing and didn't pay attention to the message. Now I'm in a real tiz with about 5 mins bfore gig kicks off. Time to ditch laptop and put desktop in place. Fire desktop up and what happens - no loud background noise - great. I relax again. Then I start gig after first track I realise I can't preview anything in headphones (this was working only 2 mins earlier!!)and only the track thats playing comes on when I switch to mix. NIGHTMARE.
Luckily I have a cd deck set up for this sort of situation. I fade this in and close program, reboot and you guessed same again. In the end I switched back to home edition which was still on my desktop and.......everything is ok!!!!!

I get through the gig without anyMORE major probs - but the sound seemed to dropout slightly and periodically. (Nobody noticed this but me)

So now I need help as they want me to be resident at the bar. Next gig is this friday.

Summary of probs!!
Why did I lose headphone preview on pro version - with home edition everything was fine!!
Do I need to uninstall home before installing pro if so how when I now have both versions on pc's (and it's a good job I did on Sunday).
How can I get rid of noise on laptop.
How do I get rid of sound drops on desktop ( I maybe using desktop for a while before I get my laptop running right) - the desktop does not have usb 2.0
I will try and recreate error message which resulted after music would not play even though track loaded but does anyone have any ideas.

HELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 8:27 pm
I am only evaluating VDJ at the moment, but I think I can help with some of these problems, as the're not directly related to the software itself.

The track refusing to play when you put the arm on onto it is probably because VDJ is set to work in time coded mode and is expecting an input signal from a CDJ or turntable to control the play of the mp3. Check your sound settings for this.

Being unable to preview the incoming track might be because you've got the slider on the headphones all the way over to mix rather than cue, or you've not got the PFL button clicked on the track you want to hear.

Sound or buzzing from the laptop is often caused when you amplify music, its picking up interference on the earth cable on the plug. There are gagdets you can get to remove this noise, or try unwiring the earth connection in the plug (do this at your own risk!).

Hope some of that helps.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 8:54 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
the pro version requires you to update your direct x. The sync function was changed because most users didnt like the way it was but can easily can changed back the way you want with a simple edit in the skin. The pro version has performance setting, try lowering everything and see if it performs better(no drops). The hum could be a few things(ground loop)?? so try one thing at a time.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 9:28 pm
if u r in the U.S.A then the ground loop can be solved @ your local 99cents store buy placing a 3to2 plug adapter on the end of your laptops' power cord:

I couldn't believe it when I figured this out by accident. lol but it works and i got two for a buck ( best buck i've ever spent) heheh.

also to see if it's a ground problem simply disconnect your power cord from the back of ur laptop and see the noise goes away then plug it back in and see if the noise reappear ..if so then this will def fix that.

BOOGIE

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 9:52 pm
If you are going to play in the BAr with your laptop, or pc what I recomend is go to the sound card settings, probably when you installed the pro version didn't recognize the sound card, then after you had check that, go to performance settings, if you are using TVC then set it up for it, now if you are not, the check asio drivers or sound card config on the software itself, download the directx latest driver, also download your sond card latest driver. On the performance settings, if you are not using TVC's set the quality to lowest, check on safemode and overlock, and do not touch anything else.

Do all this a couple of days before the gig.

Now, about unistalling home edition, I don't think that's the problem, I used to have Pro V.3.4 and pro V.4.1 at the same time and never had any problems as V.4.1 is a completly diferent software, it is not an update.

Hope this helps......

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 9:54 pm
Thanks for all the above. One thing I forgot to mention when I connected mk2 to laptop after getting to venue it did not recognise it and I had to re-install drivers why is this?

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 10:01 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You might have plugged it into a diffrent USB port, you need to install it on every port

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 10:04 pm
Can I use my soundcard on my pc for the output instead of the mk2 to solve the droput probs. I have an m-audio audiophile 2496 4in 4 out card.

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 10:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)