Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Problem with s-video output to rca... black and white?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

I'm having problems using my s-video output on my laptop which converts to a singular rca cable for video input on your tv.

I've tried adjusting the modes such pal, ntsc... blah blah on my laptop for the tv. And on the tv I've tried changing the color modes with the same settings pal & ntsc and what not. My resolution for the tv on the laptop is 800 x 600 and I'm still stuck.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get this sorted?

I've got an nvidia 7400 graphics card for reference.

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 10:18 pm
You could try 2 things.
1-try it on another tv to see if you get the same thing.
2-If the same thing happens I have a feeling the the converter you have the pins are wired wrong.
Where did you get the convertor connector?

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 12:17 am
djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I had a similar issue. Nvidia 7600GS in a desktop going to a video distribution box to an lcd projector. Color TV signal worked, so did my DVD signal. The PC, though, was black and white. I tried a different s-video cable, problem solved....

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 2:00 am
Ok I have a feeling its my cable also, I bought it from a lil market in the weekend lol. Do you think I could cut the wire and rewire it myself to make it work?

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 3:11 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
There's 4 pins on an S video cable - luminance, chroma, and 2 ground pins. It could be that only the luminence pin is working on yours, giving you just the brightness information, which would explain your black and white picture.

I wired up my own S-video to composite cable - the luminence and chroma pins are wired together to the tip of a phono (rca) plug, while the two ground pins are wired together and wired to the shield of the phono plug. This method works for me....

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 4:55 pm
Searh the web for the wiring, but you'll find there should be a small ceramic cap linking cro and lu lines from s-video, to convert it to Comp RCA. the reason you have no colour is because the only signal getting through is Lumenence. The cap is usuall embedded in the S-Video plug, good luck getting at it, much easier getting another adapter cable.

For the record, I too have a cable here that does the same thing, my second cable works fine!

Update! Beaten to the punch, But you should really isolate the Cro from Lum with a cap! 470pF Ceramic Cap on the Chroma line.

See here http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinadavid_svideo_rca

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 4:57 pm
Thanks for your help guys.... I'm off to the electronics store, I'm not that much of a cheap skate! lol

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 10:20 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
an eaier and less expensive solution would be to make sure that the s-vid output is set to the correct format like PAL or NTSC or whatever the american one is. from personal experience i have found that hainvg the wrong format in the advanced display properties settings you can get a black and white picture.

something to try

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 2:23 am
sometimes there's additional option than NTSC/PAL selection.

You can select whether you have RCA or S-VIDEO cable and the card should switch the luminance and chroma pins internally, it depends on the card and drivers, but once I had this problem and solved it without replacing/modifying the S-video to RCA adapter.

Posted Thu 02 Nov 06 @ 10:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)