Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: HELP!!!~~~~syncing files question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Plz recommend a software which will sync files between Medium A -> medium B.

Scernario: If I have updated my collection on my EXT. HDD @ work, take this same EXT. HDD home, I want to be able to update medium B without having to "painstaking" copy and paste....

THNX!!!

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 10:22 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Your best bet might be to use a program such as Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image for your home computer. You will perform a full backup of your MP3 folder(s) with your Ext HD connected. After that, whenever you want to "update", perform an incremental or differential backup. When you want to use the MP3's on the home computer, do a recovery.

There might be a better way, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 12:35 am
erdiPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You can also try “ViceVersa”, a nice little synchronizing tool.
The first time it copies all of your files to your backup drive, and after that when you do a backup it only copies the new files and those that were changed between backups.
Hope it helps.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 9:43 am
I use Robocopy for that. It is a free tool from microsoft. You could create a batch script that mirrors a folder on one drive with another folder on another drive. Only the changes will be copied so first time it will take a while, next time is quite fast. Because it only copies differences it could be started any time. It also could generate a log file.
If you need examples for a script please let me know, I will post some or create a blog entry.
Ewout

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 6:49 pm
Thanks for all the suggestons, but is there a simple freeware which facililtates this procedure ???

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 2:04 am
Well, after I googled a little bit, I found another sync tool called Good Sync, which also goes by the name of Allway Sync, and they claim to be free for home use. I downloaded it and tried it for you, and seemed to be working fine, better than the outdated version of Vice Versa FREE which I had trouble making it work the way I wanted it.
So, give Good Sync a try, and see if it works the way you want to, but just be careful with it. Test it first on a couple of folders and then use it for your real purposes. I strongly suggest you test it first, because I don’t want to be blamed later on IF you loose any files. But I’m sure that after some tests you’ll be ready to use it for real. Again, test first and be sure to read the help file under the help menu.

Also, I just found a GUI for Robocopy, but you need the executable file of Robocopy to use the GUI. And this is all free, too. I didn’t try to make this one work yet but if you want to you can try all of these tools and see which one fits your needs best.

Hope it helps.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 11:27 am
Hmmm, I tried Robocopy with GUI but I couldn’t get it to work. Maybe the GUI needs a different version of the exec file or it needs somebody other than me to make it work. If somebody can make it work then please share the knowledge. Just, be careful while using it.
:-)

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 11:58 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)