Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hello(First post)Is Virtual DJ Good for video Scratching???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, so in a nut shell, here is what i'd like to accomplish:

If you watch the video here in the top left:
http://www.dj2ndnature.com/video_page.asp?file=4347569_18_2006.flv

You will see that when he scratched the video, he is using the cross fader. When he uses the cross fader, the video "Cuts" in very sharp, just like the audio does. Even though the audio is mixed wit hthe music thats alraedy playing, the video is not, it is being "switched" via a pioneer video switcher, which its only purpose is to sense when the mixer's cross fader is being used, and that triggers the switcher to show ONLY the other video.

NOW.....

What i'm looking to do, is eliminate the DVJ aspect of this setup, and use a computer (Or 2 if neccesary) and hook up my 1200s to do the scratching. So far what i've found is that I need a program that either supports this kind of effect in program, OR supports dual video cards, so each video source can be sent to one of these video switchers, and hook it up to a pioneer mixer so it can sense when the xfader is being engaged.

My other requirement is that the latency between the vinyl record that is controlling the videos, and the video output itself, is as close to realtime as possible, I don't want any latency at all, I want it to be like as if the vinyl itself is playing.

Does this sound like something virtual dj can do for me???
Thanx
-Dj Schmidty
"The Schmidty That Never Sleeps"

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 12:48 am
Sorry, i meant the video on the top right

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 12:48 am
Virtual DJ have its own videocrossfader AND audiocrossfader, each can independenly be controlled (by mouse, keybord and/or midi devices such as mixers with midi - DJM800, Nuo4 and more, or cheaper midi devices such as Hercules or BDC2000 etc).

The crossfaders can also be LINKED so that ONE crossfader controlls both crossfaders..

So, with VirtualDJ and timecode vinyls, you can do what is done above yes... AND MORE ;)

Performance depends on graphic card and audio card... (latency and display performance)

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 1:00 am
Cool!!!

Now then, when you LINK the faders, does the image that it prodices, it is a 'mixed' image, will I see one video transparent over another, or will it just switch to the next video, like the video that I posted?

What audio card do you recomend that will get me real time vinyl control over the video????? I'm looking for REAL time control, but not to go too crazy on the wallet..

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 2:19 am
Wow, I just saw the video demonstration by dj larry d, and THAT is what i'm talking about!!! How does he have his gear setup, what is he using?? What type of mixer/controller combo, is it a usb, or firewire mixer like the mackie d2, or is he using cd or vinyl??

Oh man, so many questions, i'll jsut post em tommorow.

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 7:13 am
don't forget that he's had to edit those two dvd's for hours so that they're all laid out in order so the next clip is ready when the one he's using is over... and they're time corrected.....and layered... you'll notice sometimes there seems to be 3 or 4 songs going? he's already pre-mixed the accapellas and the instrumentals.... you're going to do a ton more work that just picking tracks and mixing.... that is scientifically measured out... all he's doing is fading back and forth, and scratching..... wonderfully I might add, but it's very doable if you think it out ahead of time.... he doesn't walk into a gig and wing it... he's worked that shit out for weeks.....

he's a genius at what he does, it's not easy, but it's also not impossible... it's practice!

I'm not a particularly good scratcher, but I've kinda' sorta pulled off a couple of the mixes I've seen in his videos.... try it... pick a couple of the cool ones like ms. new booty and in the air tonight.... my hands don't work as fast as his, but I've torn his routine apart several times.... his most special gift is in the layout.... it's insane....

using a VOB splitter, cut up the segments you need, and join them all into one long vob. then add cue points... you can do it with TCV....

I give him mucho props for his style, he's insane!..... but if you really watch him, or better yet, see him live, you'll see that alot of the magic was already done at home on a video editor.

-Steve

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 11:11 am
Ok, first what is TCV??

Second, Yea I uncerstand that all the mixes are pre determined, and thought out, thats no problem, I know that it all has to be made in adobe premier, or what ever video editing tools that I can get my hands on, thats no problem. What i'm more interested in is exactly what he is using. What equipment, minus the computer, is he using, what mixer, what midi controllers, etc is he using? It would seem that what he was doing is exactly what I want to do, but better!!! Does the cross fader control the video's movement back and forth when he brings in a new video?? see how the videos seem to move in and out from the scene?? I like that.

Is it in the software that lets him switch the video, like is it controlled through plug ins, or effects that the mixer tells the program, SWITCH TO VIDEO 2 NOW, when the xfader is engaged?

Also, what kind of power does it take to do that? What kind of computer is he working on, what are the specs??

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 6:30 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 10:19 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi Schmidity,

TCV is short for timecoded vinyl. Basically its a special type of vinyl record which you can play to manipulate the songs in the virtual dj software. The song/video will follow movement of the record meaning you can basically play/scratch as you would with a regular vinyl record. To use this feature you will need to have a 4 channel sound card with 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

If you want to get into video mixing the best thing is to buy a midi capable mixer. This allows you to assign video and audio controls to the crossfader. Theres heaps of different transitions you can do so the possibilities are limitless.

I myself own the Ecler Nuo4 mixer and I fully recommend it if your going down the path of video mixing.

Specs on your pc need to be top notch. Do a search in the forum for what video cards work/compatible is what I would recommend. Note you only need one output on your laptop/pc, all the mixing of the video is done in the software.

Hope to see you as a full member soon!

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 12:49 am
What battle mixers would have midi control?? I know the mackie d2 is firewire, would that work with the program????

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 2:40 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't think there is any battle mixers at the moment with midi. Pioneer has the djm1000 which has midi but personally I dont think its ideal for scratching.

The ecler nuo4 has an upgradeable crossfader to the eternal fader which is perfect for scratching, and adjustable crossfader curves. Slides like butter. Its a non-contact fader basically like the rane series.

Midi mixers arent cheap unfortunately....

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 5:03 am
would fire wire mixers also work?

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 8:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)