Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Herc Mk2 VDJ4 - occasional skips

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Vdj 4 is simply amazing. The combination of the Mk2 and Vdj is now more powerful than ever! I am very pleased with the sound quality and improved timecode in this new version. Most things are better, in my opinion, than in previous version.

However, there is one problem I noticed during my 4 hour 'test run'. I experienced a slight skip every now and then when using mk2, vdj4, timecode and external mixer. Everything else is fine.

Anyone else experiencing slight skips (not pops or crackles, skips) ?

By the way, the scratching sound is definitely improved as I no longer get digitised sound when doing fast or very slow scratches with mk2. I think this version increases the value of the mk2!!!

Nice!!!

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 5:04 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Prob jsut a performance tweak. I found that if there is too much load, setting vdj's priority to high or realtime makes it run twice as smooth, although you can only really to this when you got nothing else running in the background cause the cpu neglects those it a lot then

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 6:15 pm
I had skips like that before, on my older laptop.

Reason being that the usb power and/or dataflow was not constant.
However, no usb drop-outs on my new laptop.

USB-drop outs is farily common, and to make sure USB has constant flow, keep the usb device alone on port, and even power the Herc with external power if no luck.
Also, check that your USB port DOES NOT share IRQ with other devices, USB just hate IRQ sharing, but Microsoft Windows does not take that into account when doing its IRQ handling... unfortunately.

USB audio is sensitive, so keep back-ground apps that might interrupt flow of data off too (just kill any background app thats not needed when running VDJ) + you can also temporary disable such hardware as bluetooth, WiFi, Lan, Modem etc. You'd be surprices by what comes down as the actual solution for USB audio drop-outs / skips.

Google, and you will see its a fairly common problem, unfortunately.. But can be fixed with some tweaking ;)

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 6:21 pm
Thanks guys. Another small issue I have is with the sampler. What is the best configuration with sampler and timecode? I want the sampler to be in stereo regardless of which deck is active. I notice that the left side of the sampler is tied to deck a and the the right to deck b.

Any ideas?

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 8:10 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
There is also a small program you can use to increase the frequency of your usb, although i think this eats up more battery.

Set mine to 1000mhz (1ms) and its a big difference from the default.

And you mean the big ass smapler at the bottom of the screen or the little one on each deck? The big one plays on both sides, the small one is deck specific (i think?)

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 9:02 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sounz like a similar problem that I am having with my Nuo4. Occasional skips in the song at random points. I'll try everyones suggestions and give an update on how it goes.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 10:38 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Ok i've tried everyones suggestions except a clean reinstall. I've got a gig tmoro and wondering if I should just wait and put up with the skips. My gig is a 15th birthday party of 25 at the local girl guides, so shouldnt be a big deal.

Its real weird because my xp10's had been working perfect before I sold them. So not sure Just wondering if the nuo4 or related software is causing the probs.

hmmm...

Wondering if the person who started this thread initially sorted his prob out?

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 2:38 am
@Niems...... What is that small application you speak of????

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 5:42 am
I did sort it out, but it involved a clean re-install of my operating system and software. My registry seemed to have gotten corrupted (probably spyware or virus) and it was adding a process randomly that spiked the memory each time. After the clean install, I have had no problems.

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 3:53 pm
I'll post a guide for laptop tweaking for usb dropouts... real soon

Posted Fri 06 Oct 06 @ 4:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)