Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: whats better (hd setup)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

whats the better set up for hard drives
setup 1
40gb internal drive with operating system and vdj with a external drive holding the music
or
setup 2
a large internal drive with os, vdj and music on it

whats the pros and cons

Posted Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 11:44 pm
Seperate hard drive for the O/S and your music. Here is the reasoning:

I've had corruption happen on my O/S drive and the only way to fix it was to re-format. I've also had it the other way around. (Where my music drive took a crap.) Having seperate drives save you the hassle of having to replace everything should something go south on you.

It also helps with performance. Even if you aren't activly doing anything on the system, your system drive is constantly being accessed.

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:07 am
With setup 1, you wont have to worry about losing your music if something goes wrong and you need to re-install your OS and programs. I have an external hard drive through USB, and i dont notice any loading delay through VDJ.

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:08 am
you beat me to it djderricke ;)

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:09 am
Keep it separate for sure and make backups. Run SMART tests if your hard drives support it to see if any mechanical failures are going to happen soon.

I have lost my entire music library before and was not myself for a week. It was a painful experience. Always remember to backup! :-)

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 6:05 am
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Most definatley but your music on an external drive. An don't be cheap on the external drive either, an try an use one with a good name such as Maxtor. And if at all possable by 2 - one for using all the time and one that you just have for back up incase something happens to the normal one you use!

I lost all my cues an BPM's recently and that was bad enough! Just imagine what would happen if you lost all your tunes!!!

RoRy

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)