Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Goofy XP Situation

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djNAPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I didn't want to post this in the sofware or hardware forum cause it's not a huge deal, but...

Everytime i plug my MK2 into a usb port XP gives me the found new hardware wizard (EVERYTIME).

To make matters worse it keeps doing it, i'll install the software (for the hell of it) and it'll pop up again. Even if i hit cancel it pops up again... Yesterday i hooked up the MK2 and the install hardware wizard popped up 15 times before it stopped... I think it may be a faulty USB port but im not sure cause it may be a software problem. I also from time to time get an error in the asio driver from VDJ so it may even be the MK2 itself...

Anyway I say it's not a huge deal because i bought a new laptop that will be here tomorrow so im hoping that fixes things. But, im hoping that if this does continue one of you guys might know if it is the USB port or some kind of software problem. Also the ASIO error, which im sure is a VDJ or MK2 thing...

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:15 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
try changing the usb wire itself and making sure the connections on either end arent dirty

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:20 pm
Geez philly you're on top of everything...lol

I hear what you're saying but i'm using the wire that came with the MK2. I mean i'll know more once I get the new laptop but it's something i wanna nip in the bud asap... I tried switching USB ports and the new hardware wizard still popped up but only once, then when i closed it it stopped. But, it shouldn't have popped up at all because i already installed it... Im wondering if on the new laptop i can set it up to not automatically detect new hardware but i forget how to do that...

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:31 pm
Tier is a bug in XP actaully if u use a USB device one one USB port and have installed the drivers and change port it will ask for the driver to be reisntalled (the wizard) ;) just use the same port and u should be fine ;) or plug it into all of them then it should never happen again ;)

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:38 pm
So Simon what you're saying is to plug my MK2 into USB port #1 today then tomorrow #2 and so on right, so that XP will recognize it reguarless of what port i plug it into in the future? Let's say i installed the drivers while it was plugged into port #1 and I did do what you're saying and plugged it into #2 tomorrow, should i re-install the drivers if prompted or just cancel out of it?

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:44 pm
A usb device must be installed on all hubs its used on, on XP.

That means if you change port, you must install drivers for that port ( just choose to let Windows find drivers automatically, works real quick)

You only have to do this once, for each port...

So if connected to a port before, you dont have to install again :)

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:46 pm
okay i got ya... But now with the Herc will i need the disc in for XP to find the drivers or can it search the system for the ones it already installed?

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:50 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I think XP will pick up drivers the first time so if you change USB port it will have it in the system, so no CD needed.

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:54 pm
Thanks guy's. it's nice to be using a program and know that if i got a question I can count on you guy's. Now if I can only get my wife to understand why I need to spend $900.00's on new "Record Players" i'd be set... You guy's wouldn't know how to fix that would ya???

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 7:57 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
LOL
You are the man, do whatever you wanna do. Your wife should know you before she married to you :) ! Just don't go too far with your "dj" exibition :))

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 9:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)