Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Subscription download service?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

I'm looking for a subsciption service which has a flat rate per month & with a huge collection of music in its database. If you know of any please list as I would like to suscribe. I liked using "audio galaxy" back in the day because it was quite good how artists were linked and it would also list similar artists from the search and is quite pleasant to navigate through.

Any recommendations? Also I don't suppose there is any video subscription services out there or any where you can purchase dvd music video compilations? I came across a website/company a while back which made music video dvd's which were designed for club use but unfortunately I've lost the link er...

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 2:32 am
Music and Music Videos are done by subscription to professional working DJ's by Promo Only. There are also other companies like ERG, VMS, and Screenplay that do DVD's as well. Do a search with Google for those companies web sites. It isn't cheap though.

I remember back in the day knowing I had maybe $100 to spend on new records. I would be in the record store all day long to make sure I could select 8 records I could probably get. Each record being like $10 to $15 each. So that makes it $10 to $15 per song. But that is the way it was. Everyone is soooooo damn spoiled now-a-days...

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 3:50 am
Yes, you're right low-fat-al.

I used to go in the record store every Thursday morning early, because they always had a limited number of lower priced promo copes of what they thought were going to be popular.

All the local DJs used to take their hard earned money in and try to make it go as far as possible.

I think it's great now with so much legal music at low prices per track. I'm subscribed to Napster to go so that if I am out on a gig and there is a wireless network I can always buy and put on a track which I don't own. How convenient is that?

Asymptote

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 1:51 pm
BLALALLAKQSJDFOWHFOHWOFGJHERGHRJYKJ

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 9:34 pm
I think GermanSegura just read Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. Now we have to break the code....
Ewout

Posted Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 9:54 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Another source is like walmart.com, but be careful. If you read the fine print in the license agrrement "not for commercial use". There are others that are cheaper but require a base fee and then so much a song. Walmart's are $0.88 each.

Also, TMCI has music and video's. I think that Promo Only smokes TMCI in the video category.

Hope that helps.

Funny thing, I read the DaVinci Code and that was somewhat understandable, I don't what that is! :)

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 3:25 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
That same not for commercial use clause is on every store bought cd as well.

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 3:41 am
Yeah and it really sucks. It makes the pro dj have to work very hard to get some of the older music. I have done some party's for..... say older than me customers. Finding older media is very difficult but promo only has a classic section and tmci goes back for a ways. But if someone needed ike and Elvis cd, these companies were not around. I got some of the Time Life series stuff and those did not have that clause on it.
At least not anywhere I could find. Just check it out or you may have the music police on your back.

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 4:03 am
TMCI ? did you mean TM Century? http://www.tmcentury.com/viddisc.asp

Which is the same as Screenplay but Screenplay is cheaper.. which really is ERG... could never understand that.

Promo Only and VMS IMO are the best for video product out there. VMS has the VJ tools that has extended mixes and accapellas for live remixing. That is very useful.

I talked to the Dwight over at VMS and he said he approached Virtual DJ about having his product in the right format for Virtual DJ Software. He also told me he had no response.. tis a shame. He would have had all the ripping done for us. Just take a disc full of MPG-2 files and copy to computer instead.

another download site for MP3's that is realllllyyyyyy cheeeeeaaappp... is allofmp3.com you can get full albums for like $1.50

I personally subscribe to Promo Only for video and music and I do have subscription I am going to start with VMS for the VJ tools. But the allofmp3.com site I mainly use to fill in the gaps of old CD's that I didn't get a chance to get back in the day.

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 4:09 am
Yeah that's it TMCI = TM Century Inc. out of Dallas Texas.

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 4:13 am
low fat al,
that would be amazing that you won't have to rip the videos yourself. It will save a lot of time and stress (tried ripping some stuff 5 minutes before you will have to leave for your gig?). VDJ could offer this media probably also here on the site. Or setup a subscription service together with VMS.
Hope the VDJ team is reading your post..
Ewout

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 11:01 am
@low-fat-al, who is is VMS? I have heard of or seen the others. Also, what's a subscription for Screenplay going for these days? I know PO is fairly reasonable if you want to consider $30 a DVD(w/ ADJA memebership) cheap. Good thing is you can buy some of the 2002 and back disc's for $10 each. Just have to pour over the list to find something good. I know I'm still looking for that elusive Rod Stewart: Some Guys Have All The Luck vid LOL!!!!!

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 3:03 pm
http://www.vmsmedia.com/vmsmedia.html

Actually VMS has an even better deal last time I talked to Dwight over there.

If you subscribe for the current year you can get ALL of 2005 for only $100 per series.

Posted Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 8:18 pm
VMS is just the website I was looking for thnx!
It doesnt actually say anything to do with pricing on the website though? What do you get when you suscribe?

Posted Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 11:07 pm
"What do you get when you suscribe?" .... umm dvd's

Posted Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 11:09 pm
Most of these companies work with a subscription. You subscribe for a certain amount of money a year and you will get a dvd each month. You could for example sucsribe to a urban subscription. A dvd with the newest urban music will be sent to you each month.
Ewout

Posted Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 11:22 pm
So if you suscribe, you will get any releases in the future.... How about if you wish to obtain older releases? Sorry about the dumb questions, I'm just a bit lazy to research for myself :)

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 12:49 am
"I'm just a bit lazy to research for myself :)"...

you are researching now....

you can ask all these "dumb" questions by e-mailing them to www.promoonly.com or www.vmsmedia.com or whomever you decide on using.

but to answer your "dumb" questions....

when you subscribe you basically have different terms depending on who you go with and their terms...
For example I am currently subscribing to Promo Only Hot Video series since the beginning of 2006. So I will receive a new Hot Video DVD each month for the entire year. I can contact them and get older releases for whatever they sell them for individually. As I stated before VMS has the best deal for that right now.. (last time I talked to them).. if you subscribe currently... you can get ALL of 2005 for only $100 per series. I personally have to wait for some more money to come my way to jump on that deal.

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 12:55 am
Thnx low-fat al :)

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 2:37 am
PO also has a service called express service. This gets you a dvd per week. Cost... $99/month. It has about 50 tracks a disc and is a mix genre. If you do a lot of video this may be the way to go. I can not justify the cost.... yet. But I have just began offering video service the last couple of months.
A little more research.

I will admit, that vms subscription looks pretty good right now.

Posted Mon 01 May 06 @ 3:00 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)