Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Song Load Issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been a common problem but I just wanted clarification on how to resolve it. Basically when using TCV I have noticed occaissionally the playing audio will pause for a split second or two when I load a song into the other deck. For the record my laptop is a 1.5ghz Celeron M with 512mb RAM and I use a Maya 44USB / ASIO.

I've read that memory can help or possibly removing processes (such as virus scanners). Is this definately the case? I don't want to upgrade the memory if it is not the main cause. I don't really have a lot of stuff installed / loaded, though I admit it is not a completely clean install as it is my day to day laptop.

I haven't really noticed the problem when not using TCV so I don't know if it is to do with latency settings. Also what should the max load setting be? Does things like the Response / Fast make any difference?

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Posted Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 10:55 pm
djkikePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hello,
have you check if timestretch is already deactivated?

Posted Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 11:51 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Limiter and Time stretch must be deactivated. Also put reactivity in Medium and optimze your system, erase all temp files and cache files (from IE also) and defrag your hard drives.

This will help you. ANyway you can use Videos qith that specs, only audio can be supported by 512MB.

Good Luck!

Posted Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 9:06 am
Hiya.

Yep - I'd previously deactivated time stretch and limiter, clearned up temporary files and degragged the hard disk. I will change the reactivity to medium so see if that helps. I'll also try disabling my virus checker too.

Does disabling auto-gain help?

Are there any other services I should probably disable?

Thanks

Posted Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 12:37 pm
Righty ho, I changed reactivity to medium and disabled the AV software and hey presto - seemed to work perfectly (well I mixed around 10 songs no problem).

Can I just ask, what does the reactivity setting do? It *seemed* to mean the waveforms update less frequently, hence not quite as smooth, which is no problem in itself. Is that correct? Is it also for other UI inputs too?

I've also ordered another 512mb RAM as I didn't realise quite how cheap they are now - £38 from Crucial which is nowt in the grand scheme of things.

Also getting used to the bpm/wow+flutter variance - and you're right of course - it is easy enough to adjust for with a bit of practice. Realised that of course one great advantage of VDJ over CDs is the ability to see clearly where the peaks are to make for some very interesting long mixes :o) (which comes back to my earlier thread on harmonic mixing which I am now keen to utilise more of).

Posted Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 2:09 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Glad to have it working :-). Reactivity consumes CPU power in order to let you see the waveforms more frecuently. I found that Reactivity in Medium is a good solution for a lot of us. You can try another value for Reactivity in the windows register. In there I have avlue of 28 that seems to be ok for my PC. You can try some values too to get the Reactivity value your system could handle.

Posted Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 6:46 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i have a shuttle AMD 2600 with 512 Mb of RAM and it does the same for me sometimes

when i let go of a song onto a deck and its from a network resource or a CD drive that is not spun up to speed, there is a noise that takes place and VDJ stalls for a split second before it begins to start loading the song. Usualy its fine but VDJ should be more solid than this.

Posted Mon 20 Mar 06 @ 12:17 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I must admit I have the same problem but it happens randomly. I regularly defrag and make sure all other programs and services in the background are switched off.

I havent tried altering the settings in vdj however. I'll see what difference it makes with acw's recommendations. :)

Posted Mon 20 Mar 06 @ 3:09 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yeah i find it happens to me when i'm using a track longer then my max load is set to. Usually i have it set to 10min. which fits most songs. If i turn off max load (or a song is over10 mins) and load a song it will drop the sound when the song is dropped into the deck, but only happens on the 1st time, if i were to play the song again it would not have a sound drop, so i'm not sure why. Ram will always help in this case, although i find that the amount of ram people are using is really needed.

Posted Mon 20 Mar 06 @ 4:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)