Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: LINK FADER WITH EXTERNAL MIXER

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I WAS WANDERING IF THERE IS A WAY TO LINK THE FADER OF YOU EXTERNAL MIXER WITH THE ONE IN THE SOFTWARE, EVERYTIME I WANT TO RECORD A SET UP, I HAVE TO MX IT WITH THE SOFTWARE FADER, I'VE BEEN MIXING WITH VDJ FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW, BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THAT.

WOULD APRECIATE SOME HELP ON THIS.

THANKS

Posted Sat 11 Mar 06 @ 1:41 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I don't quite get what you are trying to do.

Can you use the record out of your external mixer?

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 1:29 am
I think what he means is that he would like the functionality of a physical crossfader linked to the software-based version inside VirtualDJ.

The best way to control each channel with a physical crossfader is to run Player 1 to Channel 1 and Player 2 to Channel 2 on your mixer. Leave the VirtualDJ crossfader in the middle and do all your mixing with the physical crossfader.

Wham-Bam, you'll be mixing in no time.

Woody

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 2:02 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No there is no link between your external mixer and the software. If you use the external mixer the record option will not work as it does not recognise movement in the fader.

You will need to run a separate output from your mixer to your soundcard. This can be done using a 2rca cable to a 3.5mm jack (cable type depending on your type of soundcard input) into one of your line in ports or mic input. You can take the output of your mixer from the booth connection or master output using a dual y adaptor.

You can then use a separate audio program to record the input from your mixer. This could be as basic as the sound recording program that comes with windows. Although I think there may be a time limit. In either case thats the method you would use.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 2:23 am
Hey i know how to link the cross fader to the external mixer. its quite simple actually what you needis a midi mixer this is a mixer with programin already in it to control audio software. and i just so happens that there is one out there for vdj it is made by a company called ECLER and it is the NUO4 mixer. just check the hardware list on the virtual dj website and you will see a picture of teh mixer.

but you cant buy it from teh vdj site you gotta buy it from ecler

hope it helped

dj squeezeeye

Posted Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 3:31 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Well any midi ready external mixer can do what you want with fader, volumen controls and all buttons we have in the software (even the Video fader).

In a traditional way for mix, you could do it as woddy told us already.

Good Luck!

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 2:56 am
You guys are great !!! thanks for the input, I will check out the NUO4, and the other option with another rca cable with mini plug.

thanks guys !!!!

Posted Thu 16 Mar 06 @ 5:07 pm

Posted Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 5:06 am
how would you connect a rca cable like tHAT SO THAT IT CONTROLLED THE vdj MIXER?
THANKS

Posted Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 5:09 am
DJ Quickhands, thats the cable mentioned. This cable could be used to attach your laptop to your stereo or to an external mixer, using the headphone or line output.
It cant be used to control the video fader. Like said before, you will need an external mixer with midi or an external controller for that.
Ewout

Posted Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 12:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)