Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Bpm needs finer Accuracy

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I feel that when you hit edit to adjust bpm tighter i feel it needs more increments i just cant get some tunes in the grid they need the extra zero after the .00 ie needs to be say 140.002.
And before you say about the music it was made by myself in cubase recently its just breakbeat and not house style 4 to floor beat, so is in time over the whole range but just needs that little increment more to line up all the way through.
I have heard that some skins support what i wish to do but so far i am yet to find one.

Posted Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 3:26 am
the actual bpm is in the number of samples between two beats internally as I know, but to finetune it it's only possible to click "sync button" This if course assumes you have correctly automatically aligned beatgrids for both songs, and only want to match the tempo of theese two.

Posted Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 10:31 am
thats the problem i have i cant align the grid up correct, its adjustments are not fine enough.

Posted Thu 19 Jan 06 @ 3:13 pm
Look into the keyboard shortcut menu. The default pitch up pitch down buttons (up and down arrow) are 10 steps at a time. I created 2 other shortcuts. The buttons , and . with an increment of 1. With this settings you could align 2 songs and let it play for more than 2 minutes together without drift.

I aslo used the Hercules controller, but the pitch resolution and pitch fader quality are not that good. So this also might be the problem.
Ewout

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 5:02 pm
I expect the Hercules controller has the same precision as a MIDI controller, which is 128 steps. You will get the greatest precision using 8% pitch range.

The DAC-3 pitch has a precision of 256 steps, so allows for finer adjustment. The XP10 has similar pitch precision.

Timecode CD and vinyl has even greater precision, depending on the the decks being used.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 9:08 pm
jpboggis,
not only the resolution for the pitch is important, also the length of the pitch slider. If you have a resolution of 256 steps on a 50mm slider, each mm has 5 steps. So if you give a little push to it you probably move more than 1 step.
Thats why the pro decks (Technics sl1200, Pioneer cdjs, Denon players) have long pitch faders.
Ewout

Posted Sun 22 Jan 06 @ 2:48 pm
I think none of you are getting what i mean....

I am not using the controller to line up the grid i am trying to get this mixing tight i am attempting to line the grid with the advance setttings in the BPM adjutments by going through and lining up the PHASE then adjusting the Grid so that it can be beat locked by the grid and run tight.
Then if the grids correct at the begining of each tune and then does not wander by the end and is perfect, then theres is no trouble as the asterix is appearing after some fine adjustment.

But like i am saying the software i repeat software needs more resolution to adjust these paramemters,
Using a different controller would not help if software is not allowing it.

It simply needs more resolution. 3 zeros after the . ie .000

Posted Tue 24 Jan 06 @ 4:54 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol i get you. yer you can type in more in the box if you want to. the actual setting of the bpm is done by number number of samples between beats so you can be very very very precise if you want to. the phase isalso set by the number of samples from the beggining nof the file. if you want to eddit these direcly go to the database XML file and find the properties of the object (song file) your looking for. It only SHOWS 2 decimal places in the BPM window though. if you want the best accuracy set an anchor on the first accurate beat and go throught the track untill the last acurate beat and the engine will map the grid eaxactly. if there are 44,000 samples a seccond, your accuracy can be as great as 0.00002727 recuring of a second. is that accurate enough? mabey you could presuade the development team to let us see more resolution in the BPM window.

Posted Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 3:26 am
Over your average four minute track:

Actual bpm: 133.957
Detected bpm: 133.96
Percentage out: 0.00224%
Drift over four minutes: 0.012 (bpm)
Percentage past actual beat: 0.0112%
Distance past beat*: 0.896 (mm)

*assuming that the distance between two beats are 80mm

Surely two decimal places is accurate enough?

Posted Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 10:21 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For perfecting BPM's in VDJ read my blog, for perfecting your mixing, BPM's are just a guide not the be all and end all.

Posted Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 11:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)