Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: External Hard Drive

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Is it better to have your Mp3s on your internal hard drive or is it better to have an external usb2 or firewaire drive???

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 5:23 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Definately internal but if you have to add more space I would say usb 2.0 at the least. Best bet is firewire.

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 5:59 am
Hi,

With my opinion, I prefere the external drive :
You can take your music everywhere and play it on any PCs (Crash system, Friend PC for instances).

So, I think to buy a MP3 player like I Pod.
In the case of my PC will be out of service (need to boot or to change), I can still play music with the MP3 Player.

What do you think about that ?

Regards, Laurent

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 11:44 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes you're right but the capacities of those mp3 players is not so big. Maybe 40Go maximum, so I prefer a usb hard drive or the solution i chose : a PCI hard drive, included in a usb2 or firewire interface box. This way you can have big capacities with the transport thing.

FRUiT94

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 1:27 pm
Hi Fruit ?

How are you ?
Fine, I hope.

So, I am agree with you about the size of the external drive.
40 GBytes of HDD is the minimum and unfortunaltelly, it's the max of the actually MP3 Player like I Pod.
So, with the IPod, you can listen music everywhere.

=> Ultra-portable MP3 player or Storage ? That the question ...

Regards, Laurent.

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 2:25 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I keep mine on an external drive (200 G)
I like the idea that they are on a seperate drive from both the opperating system, and VirtualDJ.

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 5:44 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
but is there any performance advantges.....by using the internal or external.????

I just order 1 gig of ram for my laptop....

I can't wait to get home and install it!!! :)

Posted Tue 04 May 04 @ 6:12 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
Although it is cool to have an unlimited supply of external hard drive (I currently have to use one right now b/c I only have a 30-gig HD on my laptop), it is a little bit of a pain to have to lug an extra piece of equipment around (the external drive) to DJ. Plus you need the power cord for the hard drive, plus the USB or Firewire cable for the hard drive, and on top of that (in my case), if your laptop doesn't have built in firewire or USB 2.0, then you need to also buy yourself and carry around a PCMCIA card.

In the case of power outages, your laptop is the one who is the safe one (you really should have the charged battery in place because an audience isn't going to want to wait the whole minute it takes for your computer to boot up and for you to get VDJ all set up to play again).

Power failures are just plain bad for hard drives, and the power supplies built into a desktop or even a laptop are going to protect a hard drive way better than the power supply of an external hard drive casing. (Every time I get a power outage where my external hard drive is involved, I run the CHECKDISK utility on that drive... and every 3-6 times I run Checkdisk I get new hard drive errors. And as you should all know, since you depend on a working computer to run a party, hard drive errors can bring even Windows XP to a crawl as it tries to figure out what the hell is wrong. Anything below Windows 2000, and the computer is just going to blue screen on you.)

If you get the chance to select the hard drive for your laptop, go as big as you can. Thats what I would do anyways.

Don't bother trying to use a USB 1.1 port to connect to an external drive. Although it will work, it will seriously take a whole minute to load up one MP3 in VDJ. If your laptop only has USB 1.1 and no firewire, buy a card (doesn't matter between USB 2.0 and Firewire because the bus speed of the PCMCIA card slot is only 8MB/s max, wheras both USB 2.0 and Firewire can go faster than that... but you can only go as fast as your weakest link.

In my setup (a firewire PCMCIA card and a firewire/USB2.0 external hard drive), the time it takes to load an MP3 into VDJ from the internal and from the external hard drive is about the same. If you can get a 5200rpm or even a 7200rpm internal hard drive for your laptop, then internal will be faster. I'm not sure how a 7200rmp laptop drive would compare in speed to an external hard drive connected to an onboard USB2.0 or onboard Firewire port... just know that it will be fast enough for VDJ.

I'd suggest to those who go the external drive rout, if your doing serious gigs anyways, to buy a good battery-backup power strip and use it only for the computer-related equipment... leave the speaker system equipment hooked to a separate power strip.

Posted Wed 05 May 04 @ 2:25 am
leeleedHome userMember since 2004
You do sets with a demo version? heh

You could also get an external 2.5in USB 2.0 HD which doesnt require external power

Posted Tue 11 May 04 @ 4:10 am
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
I have a full hercules DJ console version... but my profile doesn't specify that.

Posted Tue 11 May 04 @ 6:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)