Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Just picked up my SSL

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

As promised, the day after new years I went to the local Guitar Center and picked up my copy of Serato Scratch Live. It was pretty nice to walk into the store and be on my way with SSL in less than 10 minutes. I never understood why people always complain about the download only option of VDJ,.. now I think I understand a little better.

I now have the hardware, vinyls, cds and all the cables were in the box. A nice touch if you ask me. I'm just now starting to install it so I will post my thoughts about my first experiences once I've got it up and running. I can tell already there are a few things I've been wishing VDJ would do (that I've asked for). For example, the ability to quickly grab the track from deck A and load it up in deck B. This seems like a no-brainer for beat jugglers but VDJ does not have it. I didn't know SSL had it either until I looked at the manual and saw the keyboard shortcut.

Anyway, that's just one small VDJ gripe. I'm sure it can be done via a plugin or something but I'm just surprised I'm the only person who uses VDJ that would like this feature??? Onviously someone at Serato thinks a bit like I do :-)

Well I will post my thoughts and first experiences once I get going on SSL, that is if you're all interested.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 12:40 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'd be interested to read your thoughts, it's a good product although I prefer VDJ, and the feature you asked for is something I'd like to, that and a whole bunch of other stuff, very easy to implement but at the same time very practical.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 1:09 am
Well the first bad news is that the usb box does not work with my powered USB hub, at all. The hub is a belkin 4 port powered hub. The Maya works fine connected to the hub but the SSL box does not. Since I can't use my xp10 with SSL, I can plug the SSL box directly into my laptop which has 2 USB ports. 1 for USB hard drive and 1 for SSL box.

Slightly annoying but no big deal in the overall scheme of things. Interestingly, the SSL box works on 1 channel when connected to the powered hub. Strange. Oh-well. Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 6:26 am
look forward to hearing more, as some have stated high opinions about it.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 6:58 am
mest88Home userMember since 2006
siema jestem mest jestem z polski!!

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 2:17 pm
siema siema siema, Norwegianschy... or something ;)

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 5:09 pm
I've been using SSL for almost a year an LOVE it!!! However, I recently purchased VDJ and maya44 to see if I can get video going at my high school events.

SSL is great because the keyboard shortcuts are so intuitive. In addiiton, you can use almost every feature of the program (searching by keyword) without touching the mouse/trackpad.

I was just curious if anyone has attempted to create a keyborad profile that mimics SSL that might get me going a little quicker. If so, I would love a copy!!!!

The only other pain in the a$$ that I haven't worked out yet getting my music collection that is currently organized in iTunes to work with VDJ.

***SSL has iTunes integration and it is awesome***

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 8:28 pm
@lajolladjs

If you want you can map your own keyboard shortcuts in the VDJ configuration settings under keyboard shortcuts.

I have mapped out my keyboard and midi keyboard to let me be much more versatile with TCVs.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 09 Jan 06 @ 9:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)