Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: XP10 or DAC controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Reposting since i got an error when saving the first. Staff, please delete the first.

I'm thinking of getting a DAC or 2 XP10 but not sure what to choose.

I'm thinking mostly of usabilty etc. Which is best to use. Is one better than the other.
The XP 10 have fewer buttons, is that a problem ? And i will not use TCV.

Any input would really help.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 10:25 pm
One huge difference, is that the XP10 is great for scratch, with its touch sensitive plate!
In many ways just like using a CD scratch deck (or almost like vinyl)
Also, it has a built in soundcard. But its a single soundcard, so you need 2 x xp10 for connecting it to an external mixer. And this setup would also be best anyway, having one Xp10 to control each deck in Virtual DJ.

DAC to is more a rackmount dual controller. With all buttons you need and LED display for song info etc.
It offer all the standard features of traditional CD remotes (pitch, play/pause, cue, time display, etc...), plus a few specific to VirtualDJ. Works like most real remote CD controllers...
it does not have a soundcard built in, and the jogs are not good for scratch.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 10:30 pm
I always use my trusted old Gemini PS-626 mixer with VDJ ;-) But i'm thinking to get a new 19" also.
But 19" factor of DAC or built in soundcard in XP-10 is not important issues for me. I want the best solution to use, thats all.

So, what you are saying is that they are both similar to use when mixing etc and both have enough features do do the job really well ? And i should go XP 10 if i want to do scratching else DAC ?

Is this correct ?

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 10:39 pm

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 11:03 pm
Thanks for the input..

But i'm still not sure of what to get. The DAC looks like more features for the money. But i also like the idea to have a "turntable" on each side of the mixer.

Damn, this is a hard problem to solve . ;-) ...

BTW: Does anyone scratch with DAC ?

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 11:13 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For me the entry level controller would have to be the Hercules. Following that a mixer and 2 turntables or CD players and power it with VDJ (timecode).

Personally I've considered the other options and not so impressed, the DAC is the best for mobile DJ'ing or maybe installation, the XP10 is a basic controller (best for scratch), Hercules is a cheap controller which gets a lot out of the software and provides an excellent soundcard (MK2 allows for timecode), timecode gives the most proffesional image, is versatile to playing it's own format and VDJ, and can be excellent for scratch, lacks only direct control of other more complex functions.

Remember if your not completely happy with any solution you could always wait like many others, I know it's tempting, Christmas is coming.

Bagpuss.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 05 @ 11:47 pm
I would easily say that the xp10 are a better choice but it's all personal preference. 1 huge reason is I like my left controller to be on the left of the mixer and my right controller to be on the right. You can't break a DAC into two pieces.

I was also gonna say that you can't scratch with a DAC but after hearing Gauge's performance the other day with a mouse, I guess it's safe to say that you can scratch with anything.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 12:41 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 11:58 am
kontrol-dj, Hercules, DAC...

All midi, all works a lot the same...
Same possibilities.....

Only one that is a BIT different, would be the Xp10 with its touch sensitive platter (meaning that the record stops when you put the finger on the jogwheel, like it would on real vinyl).

And also Hercules MK2, being a bit different in having a built in dual soundcard + line ins for direct play from other hardware or timecode.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 12:10 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Pern, you mentioned "I'm thinking mostly of usabilty". In this domain, the XP10s are really great, with the easiest built-in mapper within VDJ to map whatever action you like to whatever button on the XP10.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 3:27 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
my 2 cents.... i think you would get the most out of xp10's, I think it gives the same control as a DAC and a little bit more. I would love to try one as a demo myself just for testing.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 3:50 pm
Consider the DAC-3 - It is still cheaper than xp-10s, and is now fully supported by vdj, and look out for jpboggis's mapper soon to be released - with this you will be able to pitch bend and scratch just as well as xp-10s. Possibly better. Note that the DAC-3 feel is considerably better than the DAC-2 (I own both)

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 5:50 pm
I do like the Dac rackmount series...

but ..."scratch just as well as xp-10s. Possibly better...."?

thats taking it abit far? ;) or?

XP10 got touch sensitive platter, and works just like most scratch cd-decks emulating real vinyl feel...

A scratch on jogs that dont have this platter, my guess would be that it cant come close to what Xp10 offers on that area....

But for the rest, Dac seems like a good solution, spesially if you are going to make a mobile rack.

if you're more of a "turntable dj", you might want a controller on each side of the mixer (many djs prefere this).... and if you also are not really making a rack/flightcase.. I guess xp10 would be better :)

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 6:17 pm
A typical XP10 setup ("turntable" way, with controller on each side of mixer):

Typical DAC setup ("mobile rack" way, with all compact in racks...):

and if you are crazy about video, like cyder, this will do great (hehe..) :

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 6:29 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
The thing I like the most about the Kontrol dj is the consolodation of controller/mixer complete with eq and it's midi capability. It's aluminum and not plastic and is rack mountable.

The next year will certainly offer some new players in this area, I can't wait but i'm going to......

Posted Thu 08 Dec 05 @ 6:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)