Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I need a DMX tutorial for VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lmichelPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm so psych'd that Atomix decided to add DMX support in VDJ 3.2. I understand that 3.2 is compatible with a few USB/DMX controllers. What I dont understand is where the controls are from within the VDJ User Interface.

I currently have 12 DMX lights that I run from a dedicated controller (Eliminator DMX Operator) . I'm very willing to convert over to something like the Sunlite controller and software, but first I need to understand what I would (and would not) be able to do right from inside VDJ.

You guys have any hints?

Thanks,
Lance

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 5:45 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If I connected my lights to Virtual DJ would they flash and stuff in time with the music? Like most "Sound To Light" lights do? Or do I need to program them or what?

Posted Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 8:39 pm

Posted Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 10:37 pm
Yeah, this "feature" has zero documentation and nobody in the forums has offered any help to those that ask.

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 9:35 pm
djbaPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi,

I don't use VDJ to control my lights but I have looked at the controls and I think I can tell you enough to get you started. Before you start down this road you should understand that, in its present state, the DMX controls are VERY basic and look like they will be fairly tedious to setup. Like someone said before, I would recommend getting one of the cheap USB to DMX converters and a program like the one recommended above or there is also a freeware program called Freestyler that will give you MUCH more flexibility.

All that being said, here goes an overview of how I THINK the DMX control should work. First, you have to have a USB to DMX hardware interface. I believe these are discussed elsewhere.

When you get ready to program your lighting control in VDJ you go to the Remote Control tab under Settings. Down at the bottom you will see DMX. Check the Enable box. Now you must tell VDJ what you have on each of your DMX channels. It is FAR beyond what I am doing here to go into DMX lighting setup. For the sake to this discussion lets say you have a scanner and a 4 channel relay pack connected. In this example your scanner takes 6 DMX channels and the relay pack takes 4. Your first task would be to click the Channels button and enter information about each of the DMX channels. In this example I might set channel 1 as a dimmer, channel 2 controls gobos, channel 3 controls color, channel 4 controls pan, channel 5 controls tilt, channel 6 controls strobe. Then channels 7, 8, 9, and 10 would be setup as on-off controls. Once you have all your DMX channels defined, you would move on to the Programs button.

Let me repeat here that I have never used VDJ for DMX control. I am only telling you how it APPEARS that it SHOULD work.

When you click the Programs button you will get a window with a bunch of tabs across the top. The tab that says Black should probably be setup so that it turns all the lights off. Int should be set for whatever state you need to use to initilize your lights. Other that those 2 my guess is that you can use the other tabs any way you want. Here is an example. Let's say I pick tab Move 1. I can then go in and program scenes under this tab one at a time. These scenes will then play back whenever the Move 1 tab is selected. You would go in and set all your channels to how you want your scene to begin. That becomes Step 1 under Move 1. Then you move to step 2 and set your channels to however you want them to be different from step 1. You would continue setting up steps (I have no idea how many steps VDJ will let you program under each tab) until you have the lights moving how you want them. Once you get all of this information saved you go to another tab and program some different scenes.

My guess is that once you get all of this information entered, you would go to Setting ... Remote Control ... DMX .... and then click the Programs button. When you pick a tab it should play that group of scenes in order.

I have taken a shot in the dark with this. One of the VDJ experts should feel free to correct or add to anything I have said.

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 4:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)