Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I HATE AUTO-MIXING

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

uncutHome userMember since 2005
Any way I can learn to beatmix (with my pc) without having to put tape on my screen? Was hoping either someone can make a skin without any visual help (if possible) or would be nice to turn all this crap off in a newer version. Thanks...If there is any software out there that lets me do this without a super boring interface I would love to know.

Posted Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 9:56 pm
I have made a modified verison of the Apopsis Timecode (1280x800) skin that allows the waveform, BPM counters and beat indicators to be turned off. This is aimed at external controller/TCV/TCCD users though.

Posted Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 10:05 pm
Well...
1 - you don't have to look at the sliding waveform.

2 - you can buy the full version wich would grant you access to using headphones.

3 - nice thing about this software is the changeable skins

4 - If you don't want to use software save up and spend some major $$$ on some MP3 players and an external mixer and they will have absolutely no waveform at all to help you match your beats.

The waveform is there to aid you in beat matching. I personally still use my ears to mix although I've been a DJ for 10 years and used nothing but turntables and the only way you can match beats is maybe read the grooves which is nearly impossible in dark settings. Another way that I used to do it was using the UV needles to show me when the bass would hit just make sure the 2 needles move at the same time and are both on the same level and that's it.

DJing can be VERY complicated if you want it to be. VDJ makes it so much easier to do it and gives the opportunity to just about anyone to try to DJ or even make a career out of it for very little cash. You can always shop around and look for a complete DJ setup (either cd players or turntables along with a mixer) and you will see that VDJ offers exactly that and a whole lot more for alot cheaper!!!

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 10:10 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I never used a waveform until VDJ and i can say i still really don't because my monitor is behind me, but i love the waves, when my ears tell its off then i can LOOK and see what is the problem is and quickly fix it. Why don't you want to see them??? they are there for you to use ...don't feel like some "other" super dj is going to call you a sissy because you use them, IMO i think learning with them is even easier since you can see and hear exactly what you are doing, once you master that ...then try without the waves as a backup plan so you can if you had to.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 1:04 am
I never used a waveform either prior to VDJ - I mixed using conventional CD players and vinyl only. My aim when switching to computer DJ was to eliminate the bulk of CD's/vinyl and searching through them, but maintaining the same hands-on control, which controllers such as TCV, XP10 and now DAC-3 allow. I want to look at and touch the laptop as little as possible (Can't wait for the displays on the DAC-3 to work properly.)

For learning beat matching (Or for those who don't want to learn or need to), the waveform is great, but for those who can already manually beat match and use conventional CD's and/or vinyl from time-to-time (Without VDJ present), this can teach 'bad habbits' when you know it's there and tend to (Even without thinking) look at it to confirm whether you have the two tracks in sync or not, rather than relying on what you are hearing.

When put in a situation where no waveform is available (E.g: Asked to take over from someone for a while using CD's without access to VDJ) , you really notice how much you have become to rely on features like this.

The same goes for all the other auto features - I prefer to disable them, but that's not to say that they are a bad idea or they shouldn't be used. They are great for beginners and a time saver for more experienced users who need to get the next track matched as quickly and easily as possible.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 3:19 pm
I would love your skin because I use external controllers...however my screen is only 1024x768...too bad. Maybe I should make my own skin, if its not too hard...I got crazy photoshop skills but when it comes to programming im in the dark...sortof. Anyways I've been makin beats for years usin reason and FL studio. I constantly go to parties with open decks and unfortunetly I'm not confident enough on my own mixing abilities yet but soon want to be able to have a better ear for it. Its hard not to peek at the indicators. I'm rambling now....anyways I'll try to make a skin...if I have the time and or patience..if anyone knows of one lemme know !!

Thanks

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 4:10 am
It wouldn't be too difficult to add the ability to hide the waveform, etc. on another skin such as Apopsis Timecode 1024x768 (Or even simply remove the unwanted components altogether.) I'd be happy to do it for you if you were a registered user.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 4:00 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
As dj whiteDVL said... "you don't have to look at the sliding waveform" all the time...
That's what i do using the original apopsis TC skin, i have my screen (monitor) at the left side and not front of me, so i always watch the crowd when i play...

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 4:18 pm
making skins was super easy !

Posted Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 7:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)