Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Picture of my new setup - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

dj_cashPRO InfinityMember since 2004
are you serious man...????? wtf, u got Technics SLDZ-1200 :o My favvo players... :D

you are soooo lucky :D hehe Nice!!

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 4:21 pm
anewsome why don't you create a blog ?

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 4:38 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
In my blog.

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 4:52 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
nice set! i was wondering how do you use the xp10 and tc-cd, can you use both at the same time? my setup is not nearly as nice but i will toss a pic in my blog when i can.

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 5:37 pm
Your setup is 2 T!ght!

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 5:57 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Very nice set!. Congratulations!,

(put them in your blog Anewsome)

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 6:18 pm
listen2 - The TCCD/TCV and XP10 do work fine together. I wouldn't need the xp10 if some of these CD player manufacturers would give us a midi out on some of the buttons so we could use them to control VDJ. I did initially have some trouble getting it all to work together but it was a USB problem, not a VDJ problem. If you're counting, that's 4 USB devices in my setup - hard drive, (2) xp10 and Maya44USB.

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 7:36 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Nice setup ;)
Is there denon DN-X300 mixer????? my favourite :P

DJ Nikki

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 10:19 pm
I looked at the DNX-300 mixer but I didn't need all that other crap. I have two of the DNX-100 mixers, one for this setup and one for my xp10 only (without the tcv) setup. The only thing I've been missing lately on the DNX-100 is the ability to set gain independently on all 4 inputs. This would make switching back and forth between CD play and TCCD play a lot easier. Currently I have to adjust the level for each source I want to play since channel 1 & 3 share gain and channel 2 and 4 share gain.

Posted Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 11:24 pm
hello my name is clarence hervey i live in joliet. il
i have been using computer for djing since 1999
i thought i idea of using vdj was to get rid of all that extra equipment
why have vdj if you are still lugging aroung two cd's players and amp and mixers if you are mp 3
why dou you need cd players i use just my virtual dj amp, mixer and speakers, monitor 17''
please respond
i also have two shuttle system for back up
i also would like to know what is a good fee for variouds dj job
i chareg ususlly 50.00 per hr
but a lot dj's say thats to cheep
need advice on both items

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 1:34 am
anewsome:

wow! sweet! may i ask, were did you get the tables that are holding the equipment cases on the stand? did you make them yourself or buy them somewhere?

and how do we post pictures? I want to post a pic of my setup but can't figure out how!

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 8:01 pm
paradise, the stand is just a portable keyboard stand I picked up at the local guitar center for $100. I have two stands, one I use for the xp10 only setup (simple stand) and the one in the pic here is a "three tier" keyboard stand. It is made for stage performance with 3 keyboards! I am only using it as a two tier stand though.

chervey686: i'm from Rockford, IL. Not too far from Joliet. Didn't they film a lot of the Blues Brothers there? State Prison there? Anyway, yes I did get rid of the vinyl so I didn't need to carry so much stuff with me, but I am still a "performance" DJ. Not the human jukebox kind of DJ. If you are doing a lot of scratching, beatmatching, blends, live remixes and so on, you will need more than your laptop's keyboard in order to do it.

As far as using just your laptop, I can't really see how that is possible. You at the very least need an external mixer and probably some kind of controller too, even if it is just a Hercules. Most clubs are going to need either balanced XLR or TRS inputs to the house sound, most laptops and consumer soundcards don't have this,.. even if you use a direct box - that's still kind of hokey. Use a professional mixer at the very least so you can plug a professional microphone (also balanced XLR), have a talk over button, physical mic volume slider, etc. Trying to do all this with just your laptop would be viewed as unprofessional almost everywhere I play gigs at.

I also don't lug around a rack of amps like most DJs. My speakers are all amplified. JBL EON 15s and JRX100 18" inch subs. All powered.

$50 an hour is probably too cheap. I am the cheapest DJ that I know of at $100/hr, but I don't really do this for the money. I'd like to make enough money to pay for all this stuff, but if I do that , then I will be happy. I've been consistently getting about 4 gigs per month. Usually Fri and Sat every other week.

Posted Wed 07 Sep 05 @ 9:07 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That setup is str8 up ridiculously hot!!! I didn't even know about the technics cd deck like that. You must be blingin it! You don't mind if i build a similar setup to yours? :)

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 3:29 am
Chervey:

Cheap doesn't always get you jobs. Kind of reverse psychology. You need to determine what value you give to your clients and set a price to it. Just be ready to back it up with great customer service and everything they are looking for at their event, whether it is a private gig or a club. I do private gigs. Myself and another DJthat works for me. I could book us nearly every weekend (excluding the dead of winter, New Englanders know why) three jobs each plus if I wanted to. But I feel I could not give the service for the value I set on my work. In other words I charge more and do less jobs but get the same money and don't kill myself so I am able to give 100% to every client.

With your second point. How can you set a high price on yourself if you do not carry backups. Just as I would never go to a gig with just one amp, I always carry cd's and players in case the computer crashes. Saved me many a times. Remember 1 bad gig with 100 people can give 1000 people bad reviews about you. If the party isn't hopping (granted we all have a bad night) you can get by. But if your equipment breaks and there is no music people tend to get annoyed. Therefore maybe your $50.00 an hour would be justified. I would bring the backups and charge more...

Just my thoughts...

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 5:48 am
vantineduj - good point. I roll with 2 of almost everything when I do gigs. I have (2) 250Gb drives with identical data, (2) laptops, (2) Belkin USB hubs but that's about it for spares. I can always flip to regular CD mode with the technics instantly on a VDJ crash but that hasn't happend since they fixed the scratch bug. I don't roll with extra set of EON 15's of course cuz they wouldn't fit in my truck - besides, I could finish a gig with 1 speaker if one blew up. If both EONs smoke, I'm screwed.

Point is, I have thought about the "what ifs" and I roll pretty prepared. About the only thing I can think of that would shut me down for the night would be a mixer that blows up at a gig. I have two but I normally only carry one with me. So here's to never having equipment failure take you out for the night!

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 7:41 am
good setup

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 9:12 am
Your setup is pretty impressive, and it gives the public that extra degree of coolness - "man, this DJ gotta be awesome, look at this gear, it's like a spaceship!"

I specially liked the way you used the keyboard stand and will be looking for one right now... Any hints on what to buy/not to buy?

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 11:18 am
As far as the keyboard stand, at my guitar center there is only 1 brand that looks like this, so you really can't go wrong. It's called pro-line. The one in the picture here is a pro-line PL403. Like I said, it's a THREE tier stand, made for 3 keyboards but I turned the 2nd tier sideways cuz I only need 2 tiers. 1 tier for the 1200s and 1 tier for the laptop and xp10. You can see them here:

http://www.prolinestand.com/products/keyboardstands.cfm

The one in my picture is the "D" model. I found it online for around $100. I also have the B model, which is a heavy duty single tier stand. That is what I use for my DZ1200 only or my xp10 only setup. I only use the big stand for my TCCD setup when I need all the gear on hand. I paid $50 for the single tier stand. Obviously you can get it much cheaper online.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 5:37 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
That is a killer setup, good thinking on the stand.
I use one but it's a single, and without a skirt.
Much cleaner and smaller than tables.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 05 @ 6:53 pm
63%