Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: recording software

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lack1PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Any ideas for a software record your mix when using and external mixer?

Posted Mon 22 Aug 05 @ 10:40 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
VDJ can do this, just wire an output from the mixer to the line in, select record file in VDJ, and record from the line in of your soundcard..

Alternatively you can record the same way in "cool edit"..

Posted Mon 22 Aug 05 @ 10:47 pm
I need a software that can record my mixes.

Posted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 12:48 am
And it can be done in VDJ as I described, the master out of your mixer needs to be connected to a line in socket on your soundcard, in VDJ, you record from the line in, so whatever leaves the speakers (the mix) is recorded in VDJ, simular to the way the broadcast feature works (for external mixer software).

Alternatively, cool edit is a great recording and editing program.

Do you understand now?..

Posted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 12:59 am
gileskPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I use Soundforge personally and find it excellent.

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 8:59 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I use the software that came with my SB Audigy 2 and record from Line Input, or "What it sounds". It's Great too!

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 9:04 pm
santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Will you loose sound quality if you play and record on the same PC?

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 3:45 am

No, I do it all the time. You don't loose any quality at all. In what way could you loose quality?

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 4:39 am
santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I figure you would put some type of drain on your PC by using up a lot of memory. I have 768 ram memory. This is great to know. thanks.

I was going to spend money on a second computer, now I dont have to. Now I can buy my a new mixer. I want to Numark PPD9000, this way I can hook up the line and digital outputs from my TT-X1's to my mixer. I will use the line outs for virtual dj and the Digital outs for my regular 12 inche records.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 4:47 am
I use a P4 3.2GHz, 1536MB DDR2 RAM... Means 8 programs open at a time and the PC is ok

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 5:34 am
768mb's of RAM is a fine amount to run VDJ together with a recording software, no problem ;).

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 5:37 am
I have 2 soundcards?

Posted Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 3:47 am
Whats wrong with recording straight to the computer with VDJ?
I know you can do it with Atomix as I do it all the time. Then,after recording your mix either burn it to a CD or convert it to an mp3.

Posted Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 10:13 am
Nice to see you as a full version user lack1 :), what do you mean by "I have 2 soundcards"?.

Posted Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 1:36 pm
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's better to play with a soundcard and record with another one, instead of doing the 2 things with only one card. Sondcards are full-duplex, so 1 card can reproduce and record at the same time, but this results in a loss of quality. Surely there's a lot of difference between an AC3 audio chipset on motherboard (in this case the loss is clearly perceptible) and an Audigy, but that's it.

Ciao!! :)

Posted Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 3:08 pm
I recommend you download the demo of Traction 2 from mackie.com

It's loaded with plugins for effects and mastering.

If you buy a Mackie Onyx board (GREAT preamps) with their firewire interface, you get Traction 2 free and you don't even need a soundcard.

Posted Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 5:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)