Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Windows XP 64 bit O.S

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is anyone using windows xp 64 bit operating system? And if that the case, How does vdj perform with it? Slower, faster, no difference? I have an Athlon 64 bit computer and I'm thinking to upgrade windows, only if its worth it...

Thanks.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:34 am
VDJ is a 32 bit program. With a 64 bit processor and 64 bit OS. VDJ will run in 32 bit emulation mode, which is slower than your current configuration (32 bit OS running on 64 bit processor)

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:59 am
Well I'm running Vdj on an Athlon 64 laptop and it runs good. So you are saying that if I install Windows XP 64 bit O.S the performance of vdj will be slower?

I heard that this windows will open and process data or help load songs more faster and efficiently. I just wanted to make sure that was wright..

So if what you are saying is that it will actually be slower. Then there is no point of upgrade... Thanks

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:18 am
Wait until Microsoft Vista is released then.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 8:19 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
For the moment it's better to wait for 64 bits: drivers aren't all translated
Slower: i don't think so or maybe a little little bit (the emulator WOW64 works well but needs time to calculate: it's a step in more)
Be careful : no 16 bits program will work with this version
Currently if you want to win power with VDJ, buy a HT processor or better a double core processor as VDJ use multi-threading a lot

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 11:39 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
After all virtual dj is not so "cpu hungry", as it is with memory.
I can't see a reason to rush for 64bit only for vdj, except if you run several programs at the same time.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:15 pm
but are vdj working on to make the software to work with 64bit cpu and os ? i think they should and now!

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:30 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
If you run several programs at the same time you must have an Intel P4 HT minimum. It's probe that Intel chip processors run faster than AMD in a multithread environment.

AMD is clearly the best when using a single application and can save us a few buck at the end of the year because the power consumption. Intel is better if use several applications running in your system.

Intel Dual-Core with Hypertreading is the fastest way to do things. In that case AMD is slower.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-05.html

The mainly reason to switch to Windows 64 is 'cause you have your main software made to run 64 bits. If not, it's useless. And you have to wait a year after any lunched product of Microsoft to get some stability (or bugs removed) in their products.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:51 pm
I went under the philosophy that AMD runs cooler than a P4 hence less of a chance to crash.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 6:11 pm
The specific URL is: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-02.html#conclusion_amd_wins_in_terms_of_performance_per_watt
I have no crashes with mi P4 540 (3.2GHz) since I have it last year (oct04). VDJ works fine in both processors, but I have less CPU usage (HT is working great)and run other applications without a problem at the same time.

Microsoft is the problem here, not the hardware. In my experience we have to wait one year (at last) to get a fully functional OS from Microsoft.

I think VDJ should work with multithread also, will see the final work with VDJ in this matter latter.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 6:15 pm
you are right,intel are just too hot when it comes to laptop amd is a batter cpu,i fix pc for a living when i test the pc even in a tower intel get so hot you must buy more fans to keep intel cool where as amd most of the time all you need is the the fan that with the cpu,for music and video intel years ago was the one but with amd 64bit they both are the same.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 6:25 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It's true that Memory and system cleansing is more important than cpu, anyting over 2ghz should fly as far as the cpu is concerned, heating is also a big factor in stability as said (for laptops).

I reccomend you take all the preventive measures: laptop elevation, internal cleaning (either with a specialized product or hair dryer), limit the proccess as much as possible, configure windows to give as much resources as possible for VDJ and possibly an external fan.

Their is no rush for 64 bit, it'll come eventually, but I currentely see no need, I reccomend a good, strong, stable system, lots of RAM, as much dedication to VDJ as possible (not installing junk), and as I said before, good measures taken to prevent overheating.

Then VDJ should fly, and the software is getting better and better.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 6:26 pm
Bagpuss, I agree.

Phil, Intel doesn't work's well in every motherboard (I recommend an Intel motherboard to work with an Intel Chip processor) or every computer case either. You need a 1.1 certified computer case to work with HT. In branded notebooks, were their tested in the actual configs to runs smoothly. The P4 based notebook, aren’t the exception. If you want a powerful notebook, go for P4, but your batteries don't last more than 1:30 hr. If you want a light notebook with a battery life for more than 4 hr go to Pentium M or AMD processor.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 6:32 pm
Back on point of the original post, if you have a 64 bit processor today you will get the best performance if you use a 32 bit version of Windows and the current 32 bit version of VDJ.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 7:13 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think we kind of adressed that indirectly, it's relative to the other factors (memory etc)..

But if you had 2 systems that were exactly the same, but one had a 64 bit chip and operating system, and the other 32, then I don't think you'd notice any difference in performance.

Like I said, if the memory is their, the cpu only has to be of REASONABLE standard and VDJ will fly (to the highest extent achievable)..

What more could you want?, by the time VDJ is optimised for 64bit systems you'll need a 64bit system!, currentely you clearly do not, I see no advantage of windows 64 because it's too new and NOT yet widely supported, it's just so you can say i've got blah blah blah and you haven't!!, hehe.

As I haven't tried VDJ on a 64 bit system, I can't say that it runs trouble free.

My advice is obviously to stick with windows xp pro sp2, and enjoy having a great proccesser, if you feel your lacking performance then don't look at win 64, look where I suggested.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 7:26 pm
I thank you all for your good sugestions and links. After reading all this, I performed a hard test on my amd 64, 3200, 1 gb, 100gb hd. I opened 2 instances of vdj, play 4 songs and ran 2 video preview screens. CPU ran about 98% constant and still I was able to run other programs with in windows. Video and sound ran good. Waveform ran a little choppy. But again this is not everyday use. In the other hand I compared to my desktop, pentium 4, 2.8ghrz, 1.5gb, 160 hd with HT and it ran 30% less on the cpu even with one instance playing. When you load a song on my laptop I get 100% cpu usage for few seconds where in my desktop I get about 50%. I know these are 2 different animals but I believe there is a difference with Hyper threading, Something that I dont have in my laptop that I wish I did.
Some I dont like about my laptop is that it takes sometime to load a song from the cd player and even the waveform also becomes choppy when its loading.
Anyway, I will stay with 32 windows for now until some better without bugs comes along and maybe then vdj will be even more efficient to use.

Thanks again.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 10:08 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Hyper Threading of Intel emulates a new processor so it looks like you have two processors but it's not real. That's why AMD and Intel decided to creat some dual core processors: it's real and there are two processors inside. Of course it's the best. Now imagine: intel dual core with Hyper Threading = 4 processors!!!

Some details: VDJ already works in multi-threading:
- scan
- waveform
- i guess video too

Some of my plugins for VDJ:
- FaderStart
- Microphone Control
- RGB Filter and RGB Filter Auto

I have a P4 HT and i'm very happy with it

Posted Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 3:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)