Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Ur Back-Up Player And When U Had To Use It

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
when did ur vdj or player of choice crush and what did u use for back-up?

in my pcdj [red] days i once updated my program just before the gig and it was disaster at the club lol
i was forced to use atomix which i'd never used before. it was a pretty tough night. it was an audition night and i still won the audition. the [cd] deck dudes sucked and i was 30% at best with atomix.

i'm asking this because pcdj [red] doesnt have multi-instance and if it did i'd probably use another instance for back-up.

so has vdj ever crushed on you and what did u use to recover (at least temporarily)....

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 9:30 am
I've used to have winamp opened with some neutral song loaded, it mostly happened to me that i was not able to acces "my computer" because of CD-rom sucked and windows was trying to read it,
this way you have to start-> run-> c:\music
and then i can add new songs to winamp.

It's good to have few in playlist to avoid browsing pc.

Just to warn you, when PC get stuck (it's not always case of vdj and it -knock knock- hadn't happen to me for a long time) you can hear some "loop" playing in the speakers and this is the case when nothing helps you.

Just take a microphone and make fun while rebooting or what :-)

Even your cd-player can make you troubles. And amplifier can burn. Don't worry i think new version is very stable (except of the loop over bug that is about to be fixed).

I am not using video, playing just what's on my harddrive and for me it's rock stable.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 11:55 am
using cd-roms is risky coz if they'r scratched the pc can hang. its always good to have the Task Manager up just in case some program doesnt respond so u can kill it quick.

winamp is a good idea to have up. i like the library search because i dont have to type underscores.
as far as vdj browsing i get all my songs from the database search. using My Computer crushes (or rather in earlier versions used to crush) vdj. the quickest way is using the database search.

as far as working with other programs vdj does it better than pcdj [red]. pcdj will not work with p2p applications up.
for those with 512MB+ memory have another instance laying in the background would be of help so that if the current one crushes u can mix in another song. (or maybe its not a good idea to have multi-instances coz that might be the cause of the crush)

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 5:35 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have a small personal cd player hooked up to my mixer with a neutral song playing and just keep the mixer volume on that channel down. if my vdj crashes or i want to reboot i just play a track from the cd and then when it's rebooted i can just turn the volume on the pc channel on the mixer back up again. i don't use winamp or anything cos if vdj sticks and crashes on one note and you get that "I'm stuck on one note" sound coming through the speakers and nothing is working, it's easier to just turn the pc down and then turn the cd up.

i only ever have two pc applications running at one time. 1 is vdj and the other is a search panel mapped to my music drive so i can find my songs easily. the pc and the cd player are both hooked to the mixer but in different channels...

easy!

Keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 8:25 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My computer has never crashed whilst mixing, only VDJ (which happens extremely rarely if ever), in that case I will load winamp with a song in the playlist, then imediately re-launch the program, if I can i'll just open up another instance of VDJ and just wait till the song on the crashed VDJ ends and continue the with the secound instance.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 8:54 pm
i'm interested to know if a uve ever crushed live on a set pionara. if so how many times.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 9:09 pm
I've been gigging for two years and since i started using VDJ 'professionally' a few months back, i've crashed out a couple of times. not much, maybe 2 or 3 times out of 20 gigs with vdj.

I do functions, not clubs, so i'm usually playing party stuff anyway and not really anything that's too heavy, which means it's easy to switch from pc to cd without too much hassle, as long as you have a good party cd in there...:o)

A bit of mike tricks work as well...and a good crowd is always nice.

One thing i would say is that it's no doubt been a hardware issue that's crashed me out...but having a back up to hand is the best thing you can do, whether it's an ipod, cd player or whatever...just make sure you have it.

You don't measure a dj by how they cope when it's going well...you measure them by how well they cope when it's going badly.

IMO, a good dj will not panic or get stressed at the first sign of trouble. Instead, they will grab the mike and make a joke and be at one with the crowd...which isn't always easy. I think if you get a good first impression with the crowd you can win them into (or out of) any situation.

Keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 10:36 pm
Can run up to four instances of vdj, at five all controls locked up but all still playing.
Could only exit using Ctl Alt Delete. Was using about 44%.

Then run two instances and crashed one using the loop bug, second one never missed a beat and after using recover botton reapeared in the stantby mode.

A more serious concern is the bug which requires a restart, that is attemptin to play a badly scratched cd in the cd rom, pcdj never crashed in this situation, so is this something that could be fixed, at least to the point of not requiring a restart.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 11:15 pm
"... You don't measure a dj by how they cope when it's going well...you measure them by how well they cope when it's going badly."

^^ i agree with that. its easy to get out of that one with a joke tho. just blame microsoft/bill gates lol.

Posted Fri 12 Aug 05 @ 11:43 pm
lol...indeed

:o)

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 12:34 am
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Haven't had an incident in over a year (knock on wood). I was playing at a Christmas party for Kohl's (a department store in California), I unplug a cable that I used for a projector earlier that night & it somehow cause a surge (I think) and my XP10's stopped working... anyhow, I always take my CD system with me to gigs and had it ready to go that night.

Posted Sat 13 Aug 05 @ 1:31 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had a party last saturday..
everything was going right. but i forgot my database search before the party..normaly i do that after a fresh instal. i must have forgot that this time. when i hit the database button last saturday, it took more time then the song that was playing. so it was no bug or whatever. only no control over vdj.

i always have my complete stuff whit me. so in this case i had 2 cd's loaded and a 12" on the tt.
I had to use the cntr-alt-del for quit the program.

this was just MY big mistake. (i'm human to)

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:35 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
"You don't measure a dj by how they cope when it's going well...you measure them by how well they cope when it's going badly."

That is the truest statement I have ever read about when trouble comes knocking.
Nothing like working a gig uptight and worried, that sucks, practice makes perfect, stay composed even if you are not, smile and use the mic.
I refer to it as a "pc potty break".

We all have our war stories about lockups and problems for sure, it conditions and hardens you.

I run my ipod coming in on tape monitor, so it's a single button to kill the dead air.
It doesn't happen much, but it did happen last Saturday night.
I was sick as hell and working in 96 degree heat at 100% humidity with a black skin and black cursor.

So there I was doing what I castrate guys for, running a playlist on auto.....it was 3.5 hours into a 8.5 hour gig.
BAM! Silence.....
Away from the console puking, I ran back and hit the magic button.
The program had closed which saved me time to restart it.
Then it ran all night with no problems.

BTW, I also carry a loaded handgun..., I mean loaded laptop and external drive in case something happens in Windows or other hardware failures.

Practice it, drill it in, it will help you relax and stay composed.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 3:16 pm
A very true statement indeed...even if i do say so myself...

:o)

P

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 11:20 pm
the best back up is something that has nothing to do with your pc,cd player or ipod your pc can go for the night belive it or not,if you use a laptop a second power supply is a goodthing or hd with os in it.i fix pc for a liveing so i know

Posted Mon 15 Aug 05 @ 11:33 pm
The great news for club DJ's is the installed equipment, just take along a CD wallet full of the music you were going to play on your laptop, then you have back-up, and in worse case scenarios you can play all night long from the CD players :).

Posted Tue 16 Aug 05 @ 12:20 am
i find it weird that u have to install more than once (or twice)

i take my songs from the database search always. thats coz my library is all on Office Excell. my library is arranged [neatly] on Office Excel. i started it with pcdj red's ini file and always managed it with that ini file.
(for those who've never used pcdj red, its like the vdj mp3databse.txt file having bpms, artist, track, comment, location and importing the txt file to Excel saving u time to manually type the info there. for this reason i'll always keep pcdj red)

i dont like it when refreshing the vdj database takes more than 1/2 a song. with my 10,000+ library it does take a while (on this 900Mhz 384MB PC); it takes about 10 minutes to do a HDD scan. C: 20GB + 100GB. so i cant do that while a song is playing.
-
Other than that one [of the many] advantage VDJ has over PCDJ in crushing is u can have multi-instance.

vp aka anon

Posted Tue 16 Aug 05 @ 1:59 am
@bagpuss : "and in worse case scenarios"
LOL, you did not count with blown out ampifier, speakers, no guests comming, bomb attack to the disco...

Posted Tue 16 Aug 05 @ 2:41 pm
hehe.

I was trying to keep within the context of the topic ;),

But outside the context of back-up players and laptops crashing your right, I have blown out speakers at an early gig, luckily it was a house party :).., the whole party sucked after that because the music had to be played very low, this was when I was very young and thought volume + club music = great party!, boy was I wrong!.

Posted Tue 16 Aug 05 @ 4:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)