Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: how do you arrange your songs?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

davidvaHome userMember since 2002
How do you arrange your songs:

1: According to BPM (if you are in same BPM range, for example 132 to 140) (excluding crossovers from ranges above 10%)
2: According to the melodic key match
3: According the public's mood...

Thanx for your time!

My answer:
2 and 1
(I don't play for public ;-) )

Posted Tue 04 Jun 02 @ 9:35 pm
For me, how I arrange the songs has a lot to do with how many I have of a particular type. My songs are organized firstly by genre. Also I have a few other directories...

80s
Ambient
Classic Rock
Hard Rock
Main
Mix
Pop
R&B
Rap
Rock
Unsorted

The 'Mix' directory has all my dance music (trance, house, ...)
and is organized by BPM from 125 to 145. The 'Main' directory is the songs that I know really well and mostly use when playing live. The 'Unsorted' directory is just what it suggests, and since I'm lazy there is about 1,000 songs sitting in there right now :)

Don't know if there is really any best way of doing it. I think it's best to just find what way works best for you.

Brad

Posted Tue 04 Jun 02 @ 11:54 pm
for a live mix, i tend to start off hard or mellow then carry on with songs that have a similar beat or feel to it
keep the mix simple and u'll have no problems
and as for BPM, dont add more than 7% or else it'll sound really donkey bollocks

Posted Wed 05 Jun 02 @ 9:00 pm
It's really fun sometimes to just spin around a few times and just point to some random song and mix it in. Sometimes I pull off mixes that sound amazing that I would have never thought of. Of course, you have to be realistic. It obviously won't work too well if you mix happy hardcore into downtempo (though that sounded pretty interesting too :) )

Posted Wed 05 Jun 02 @ 11:30 pm
davidvaHome userMember since 2002
Hey,

I just tried it! (mixing random) Songs I had trouble mixing just sounded much better with songs I really didn't find good enought to mix...
Cool!!!

About combinations with different types of music...
What did you ever mix that sounded interesting? (two different styles)

Well, I am off to (re)mix some of my old cd's!! ;-)

Posted Thu 06 Jun 02 @ 5:44 pm
One time I mixed a track by Vangelis who isn't even a dance producer over some hard house. It was pretty much a funky acid trip with a beat. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOAH

Posted Fri 07 Jun 02 @ 5:16 pm
vlk72Home userMember since 2002
Try Barry White "You're the First, the Last, My Everything" remix and at the end mix Kadoc "nighttrain", perfect ;-)

Posted Mon 10 Jun 02 @ 4:52 pm
alholioHome userMember since 2001
I've successfully mixed from breaks into slowed-down Tinrib hard trance (time stretched to keep the pitch the same)... then slowly worked the tempo over a few tracks to work up to a full on hard trance set

Posted Mon 10 Jun 02 @ 10:54 pm
house
progressive house
disco house
progressive trance
trance
Start ( for the begining)
instrumental
deep&tribal
Others

Posted Sat 29 Jun 02 @ 2:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)