Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Keeping It Legal

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it legal to download an MP3 off say 'Audiogalaxy' and use it in a mix?

I'm a little confused at to what's legal and what's not, so any information concerning AtomixMP3 and the law, would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Posted Tue 21 May 02 @ 12:57 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Well I am not exactly sure but I guess it depends on what you are using the mix for. For your own enjoyment or to make money.

DJ Homeboy

Posted Tue 21 May 02 @ 1:35 am
Well, for live performances.

Maybe there's an MP3 site for Digital DJ's or something that I can signup for and pay a subscription fee? I don't know.

Posted Tue 21 May 02 @ 2:07 am
Its definitely illegal to publicly play any music you don't have express permission to. But everyone does it so who's to know???

Posted Tue 21 May 02 @ 7:59 am
No it isn't legal. It is only legal if you own the CD it is ripped from and you have a liscense to play copyrighted material in public.

Posted Wed 22 May 02 @ 1:15 am
it also depends on your country. Chances are, it is illegal activity.

If you legally purchase the CD (or digital music download in some places) you can reproduce it a compilation or remix, AS LONG it is for strictly personal use (playing it in your livingroom) and NOT to be distributed to any others.

With regards to live performances, copyright violations should not be important since most clubs pay large sums of money to the recording industry (SOCAN, the songwriters & music publishers association as it is called in canada and RIAA in america). And besides, most DJ's @ clubs bring their own vinyl, which is definately legal (has anyone ever heard of "copied" vinyl ?)

Posted Fri 24 May 02 @ 7:52 am
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Of course copied vinyl are the same as the white labels ie the big clubs have a vinyl recorder and brun themselves their own remixs that is totally illegal.

Posted Fri 24 May 02 @ 10:44 am
Absolutely correct!

There's reasonably affordable equipment to mount on an ordinary 1200/1210 to actually make vinyls from a live/recorded input or even copying between two decks so the vinyl market has it own legal problems.. no doubt about that...

Posted Fri 24 May 02 @ 12:33 pm
SyfoonHome userMember since 2001
In a recent discussion with Ferry Corsten's lawyer, its illegal to host, say, a copyright tune/remix on your own webserver, even if YOU remixed it, because THEY (the record company/artist) owns the copyright to the track.

But mixes have a different set of rules...

As they aren't single tracks, they're big long strings of songs put together by a DJ/producer, it becomes property of the composer of the mix, to a certain degree, being;

You can't sell the mix as your own work, you must credit the artists used, and if you want to sell it, royalties must be paid to the individual artists/labels.

The first rule also works if you chop a mixed set up into individual songs, rather like a mix CD like the Euphoria or Trance Nation CD's

:)

Posted Tue 04 Jun 02 @ 3:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)