Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Variable Beatgrid Analysis Needs Work
I've recently moved from Rekordbox to Virtual DJ. One thing I have noticed is that the beatgrid analyzing algorithm was a lot more accurate in Rekordbox, when it comes to songs with variable beatgrids.

Here's an example: Lil Boo Thang, by Paul Russell, has a tempo that varies slightly throughout the song. After I analyzed it in Rekordbox (both dynamic track analysis and cloud beatgrid data collection enabled), the beatgrid was perfect. When I played it, the live BPM counter was constantly fluctuating between 113-115 (down to the hundreths decimal place) to keep it locked in.

After I analyzed it in Virtual DJ, the BPM starts drifting after about 0m:39s, and is totally off for the rest of the song, due to the small fluctuations in the song's tempo. I tried a few different ways of analyzing including using the "experimental" bpm analyzer as well as analyzing for multiple BPMs, but none of them made a difference.

The amount of work I spent on beatgridding dynamic songs in Rekordbox was minimal, but in VDJ it looks like I have a LOT of work ahead of me.

Perhaps the fine folks at VDJ could figure out a way to make the beatgrid analyzing algorithm better, like Rekordbox?

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 1:51 pm
I agree the analysis in VDJ could do with improving. The default is to take an average of the tempo and place a fixed beat grid onto the track. Of course this only works accurately if the music itself has a fixed tempo.

The "Variable BPM" option is a little misleading as it's really only intended for tracks that switch BPM rather than constantly varying. Using that method involves manually placing markers and is very time consuming.

Since the Fluid Beatgrid system in Algoriddim DJay Pro 5 has gone down a storm, hopefully it will eventually be introduced in other software.

VDJ users have been asking for improvements in this dept for many years. I think now would be a good time for these limitations to be addressed. Here's hoping.

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 3:25 pm
groovindj wrote :
Since the Fluid Beatgrid system in Algoriddim DJay Pro 5 has gone down a storm, hopefully it will eventually be introduced in other software.

VDJ users have been asking for improvements in this dept for many years. I think now would be a good time for these limitations to be addressed. Here's hoping.

Spot on! I have been playing around with Algoriddim's DJay lately, and that new beatgridding algorithm/AI is absolutely magic.

Atomix: Please, pretty please with sugar on top, make this a priority..!

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 1:42 pm
Indeed - it was enough to convince to pay their subscription, just for that one feature.

It doesn't come close to VDJ in many other ways, but being able to accurately grid tracks like that is a huge step forward.

Posted Mon 11 Mar 24 @ 2:10 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
+1 for that feature here! As a wedding jock I play a lot of old music that often doesn't align too well to a constant beatgrid. This would be a real game changer for those of us who play a lot of old soul and disco classics!

Posted Tue 02 Apr 24 @ 4:07 pm
+1 please we need fluid beatgrid to much wasted time on manually fixing what vdj got wrong

Posted Sat 13 Apr 24 @ 3:49 pm