Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Settings Window and Mapping Gripes
I really strongly dislike how some of the mapping window in VirtualDJ currently behaves. I cannot count the number of times that I have been in the middle of mapping, dragged my mouse from right to left to select a set of text that I want to replace, and began typing to find that, plainly put, everything I was scripting was completely messed up because of the behavior where if the mouse rolls over any of the items in the key list on the left it previews it in the right section and because there is like a 4 pixel gap between the action field and the key list and then suddenly my mapping that I otherwise wanted has somehow been replaced entirely by the action my mouse was over and whatever else I began typing, yet somehow it has affected the original key and not the preview I was moused over (?!?). Also the undo for when this happens isn't able to successfully undo the damage that has now been done and I find myself having to close the window to and not save whatever I had just done and anything I forgot to save before that so that the mapping I am currently working on isn't rendered totally useless.

And on the subject of closing the settings window, I find it silly and slightly obnoxious that when I am clicking to navigate between sections of the settings and VirtualDJ asks if I want to save the changes that, regardless of what I pick, the settings window closes.

I would really love it if these got improved/fixed/addressed.

My proposed solutions:

Mouse over while mapping issue - Either disable the mouse over behavior entirely or perhaps just change the behavior to where if "attention" of the software is in the action field or at least if the caret is active in the action field that mouse over they key list on the left behavior is temporarily disabled.

Undo - I would love to see an undo for mapping that spans everything done from when I start mapping to at least when the window is closed and spans across multiple key edits or could undo on a per key basis.

Settings window closing on save prompt - Only have it close if that dialogue box was a result of the user hitting the X in the upper right to actually close the window, otherwise it will save or discard the change, but still leave the window open.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 5:58 am
+1 for Mouse over issue

this change has made the mapping editor almost impossible to use, (and at best very frustrating), for all but the simplest mappings.
(easily more then doubling (maybe tripling..to giving up and going to a diff method) the time to mod a mapping)

Possible solutions:

Best, would be to create a dedicated editor (say, call it Full editor mode), within VDJ, with even more amazing editing features.
And keep the current.. awesome mapping, PREVIEWING and REVIEWING implementation, for which it does extremely well.

Or Alternatively:

Would love a tweak, to allow the feature to be disabled when not wanted, which would probably be, 99.99% of the time.

Or if the one accidentally (or otherwise), mouses over the left most "Key" mappings, area that, the cursor, in the "Action" window, remains at its SAME location, after the mouse-over.

And would also love the individual windows to be resizable.. since this could allow for both the Action window to be larger (really the only window used, and the focus when typing and modding a mapping), and making the left Key mappings window smaller (and less likely to mouse over accidentally)

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 6:53 am
Oh, I just remembered one more thing, which is a small visual glitch in the action window when mapping: sometimes when an action wraps the line by a letter VirtualDJ will color it green as though that one letter is a variable even though there is no space between the last letter, the line wrap and the next letter. This often causes me to worry that I've put a space in when there actually is not and it is purely a visual/display issue by VirtualDJ.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 24 @ 7:42 am