Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Phrase Analysis
I see that some softwares out there have phrase analysis features (like Rekordbox).
It would be cool if VirtualDJ could add that feature as well.

Posted Mon 19 Feb 24 @ 2:35 pm
Do you mean regular phase detection?
VDJ already has that. That is what is represented by the big vs small rectangle on the waveform, and also in the bars and/or circles and number at the top :

Posted Mon 19 Feb 24 @ 2:49 pm
Phrase analysis (AFAIK) is a highly error prone thing (the software doesn't know what is a bridge or chorus outside of differences in frequency activity so it pretty much guesses something) that you'll most likely have to edit yourself to be correct, and outside of one just wanting to see visual indication of the parts, is only useful for DMX lightshow transitions.

VirtualDJ has something close to this (analysis generating remix points), and you can probably achieve the same thing manually using a color code and hotcues/other POIs.

Is it that you just want to see song parts over the deck waveform?

Posted Mon 19 Feb 24 @ 3:11 pm
@klausmogensen Phrase, not phase!

I know Rekordbox has cloud track analysis, so it's possible that the phrase data is shared i.e. some DJs have already confirmed the phrasing on certain tracks, so when another DJ analyses, the system takes that data rather than guessing.

I am guessing though!

Posted Mon 19 Feb 24 @ 3:43 pm
groovindj wrote :
@klausmogensen Phrase, not phase!

Oh, so he means automatically analyze and find the specific parts of a track, and mark them?
If so, that's indeed called remix points in VDJ
There is an example below for a track I added and analyzed in VDJ yesterday, without touching anything afterwards. I think it a bit hit and miss how well it works - but it does indeed exist in VDJ

Posted Mon 19 Feb 24 @ 6:53 pm
I mean something like this, so song structure can be automatically analyzed, with the options to edit to make corrections of course, and to display the song structure as well by the waveforms.

Here's what rekordbox had.

The main point for me would be to just visually see song structure ahead of time, when certain parts are going to happen and for how long, to possibly help you plan for transitions better.

Posted Mon 26 Feb 24 @ 12:42 pm
I find some of those terms quite amusing, and also the placement (although maybe that's just a bad example).

For many decades, song structure has consisted of (e.g.) intro, outro, verses, choruses, bridges, breaks (sometimes)...

Although these do still exist for some tracks, common terms now are build and drop - but here they call them Up and Down (LOL). Chorus here is described as almost identical to Up, Verse is just something that "does not apply..." and a Bridge is an interlude. Hmmmm.

Posted Mon 26 Feb 24 @ 1:00 pm
As I had said before

• The Analysis is error prone and you'll have to edit it yourself

Just look in the picture you provided (and @groovindj already addreas this)...the label themselves most definitely don't describe the song structure properly (e.g. what is "Up" and 3 of them in a row?). If you are depending on that currently, you are most surely not getting the right info for your mix.
    This was my main problem with it when I used Rekordbox exclusively, and I actually ended up switching off its display. (I only eventually bothered with/edited it when I had a track that I wanted DMX lighting for).
  • VirtualDJ does have Remix Points which is supposed to achieve a similar thing

I've not really used it much, and to me currently analysis doesn't actually generate any such points for the majority of my songs (maybe there is an opportunity here to make it better with stem analysis?)
    It also doesn't show on the waveform by default like hotcues (it shows up when you select the Remix Point pad page, or if you set its cue type to "Marker" or "Hotcue")

Right now, IMO your best current option really is to use hotcues with a color code for that purpose. Actual labelling and better generation of Remix Points would probably be the ask.

Posted Mon 26 Feb 24 @ 1:53 pm