Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Stems Way Of Functionality
Hey guys I wish if I split and unlink the track (Deck A for acapella and Deck C for Instrumental) and unload the acapella on Deck A wish it doesn't automatically play on Deck C without me triggering it cause some times we unload the upper Deck for track rearing of 2 or more tracks during live mashups

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 1:59 pm
+1 I found the stems resetting on unload (especially after unlinking) very counter-intuitive.

My (desired) stem split workflow involves the exact situation. I can use clone_deck with stem toggles to somewhat get around this but then I lose any advantages of having linked decks.

Posted Tue 13 Feb 24 @ 9:51 pm
Not sure exactly what you are wishing.

What is your settings > option: resetStemsOnLoad

is it what you expect it to be?

Posted Tue 13 Feb 24 @ 10:30 pm
Hi DEEJAY,

(Assuming Zeusmatic and I have the same request) With either decks linked or unlinked, unloading one deck will cause all stems to be enabled on the remaining deck. Let's say stems split is used to split Vocals and Instrumental across decks 1/3, Vocals are on deck 1 and Instrumental on deck 3. Unloading deck 3 will cause all stems on deck 1 to be re-enabled, but the desired functionality is to keep only Vocals active. Unloading deck 1 will cause all stems on deck 3 to be re-enabled, but the desired behavior would keep only Instrumental active. Right now the behavior is the same regardless of resetStemsOnLoad or whether the decks were unlinked after stem split.

My desired workflow is to be able to split stems across decks, optionally continue to manipulate/toggle stems, then to unload a deck without any stem changes on the remaining deck.

Personally I think resetting a different deck's stems- especially when they're unlinked- shouldn't be the default behavior, or there should be an option to keep existing stem settings. I'm curious to hear how other DJs take advantage of the current setting.

Posted Wed 14 Feb 24 @ 12:09 am
Ahhh I understand now.. awesome explanation ! !.

I myself when using split stems, since currently don't use stems split across tracks a lot ..
like that, when split stems, is disabled, (or the split track is unloaded), that the remaining track reverts to playing all stems.

Again this is not my workflow ..so do not know why one needs to unload one of the tracks.. would lowering the deck 3's fader, be equivalent to unloading it ?

And yes, I could see that one may want an option (way to enable your requested feature) especially in the case of unlinked split stems.
+1

And until your wish is implemented, I believe, one could tweak the deck "unload" (and "load", since loading also unloads an existing loaded deck) functionality to create what you want.

What you want is to enable acapella stems on deck 1 if "split stems" was enabled, during the deck 3 unload.
and
to enable Instru Stems on deck 3, if "split stems" is enabled, during deck 1's unload.... etc.

Posted Wed 14 Feb 24 @ 6:12 am
interceptintercept wrote :
Hi DEEJAY,

(Assuming Zeusmatic and I have the same request) With either decks linked or unlinked, unloading one deck will cause all stems to be enabled on the remaining deck. Let's say stems split is used to split Vocals and Instrumental across decks 1/3, Vocals are on deck 1 and Instrumental on deck 3. Unloading deck 3 will cause all stems on deck 1 to be re-enabled, but the desired functionality is to keep only Vocals active. Unloading deck 1 will cause all stems on deck 3 to be re-enabled, but the desired behavior would keep only Instrumental active. Right now the behavior is the same regardless of resetStemsOnLoad or whether the decks were unlinked after stem split.

My desired workflow is to be able to split stems across decks, optionally continue to manipulate/toggle stems, then to unload a deck without any stem changes on the remaining deck.

Personally I think resetting a different deck's stems- especially when they're unlinked- shouldn't be the default behavior, or there should be an option to keep existing stem settings. I'm curious to hear how other DJs take advantage of the current setting.

You Guy you read am mind

Posted Fri 15 Mar 24 @ 5:09 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
Ahhh I understand now.. awesome explanation ! !.

I myself when using split stems, since currently don't use stems split across tracks a lot ..
like that, when split stems, is disabled, (or the split track is unloaded), that the remaining track reverts to playing all stems.

Again this is not my workflow ..so do not know why one needs to unload one of the tracks.. would lowering the deck 3's fader, be equivalent to unloading it ?

And yes, I could see that one may want an option (way to enable your requested feature) especially in the case of unlinked split stems.
+1

And until your wish is implemented, I believe, one could tweak the deck "unload" (and "load", since loading also unloads an existing loaded deck) functionality to create what you want.

What you want is to enable acapella stems on deck 1 if "split stems" was enabled, during the deck 3 unload.
and
to enable Instru Stems on deck 3, if "split stems" is enabled, during deck 1's unload.... etc.

Just posted about this problem in detail here, have a read:

https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/257829/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/stem_separation_trouble.html

Basically what we want is to keep the vocals of Track A playing on deck 3, at the same time as Track B (on deck 2), while loading another Track C on deck 1.
Am I explaining this right?

I also feel like this feature should be easy to implement.
At the moment the only work around I have thought of is:

step 1 - kill the volume fader on the accapella track that has been split (deck 3)
step 2- go back to the track you want to unload (deck 1)
step 3 - unlink the tracks
step 4 - unload the track from deck 1
step 5 - go back to deck 3
step 6 - isolate Vocals
step 7 - bring the volume fader back up

This is not ideal as not only it's a lot of steps, but you will also have to silence the vocals while you do them!
Im sure there is an easier way to acomplish this!

(edit: syntax)

Posted Thu 04 Apr 24 @ 8:38 am
What you guys need to consider is that when you split stems across decks, those decks are still playing from the source deck, so when you do something to the source (i.e. load a new track) of course it will have an impact on the other decks.

Posted Thu 04 Apr 24 @ 9:38 am
Hi Groovin,

My (desired) mental model for stem split is when the decks are unlinked, they behave like two individual independent tracks, just as if clone_deck was used. They already seem to behave like this in nearly every other way when unlinked (transport controls are independent, different effects can be used, stems can be toggled, cue points can be used independently). Why is unloading the exception to this model?

It seems odd that resetting the stems is baked into unloading a deck, especially when the decks are unlinked. Also, hitting stem_split after splitting will merge the decks, so there's already a mechanism to get back to a single deck with stems reset.

It seems the only workflow the current implementation enforces is splitting a track, manipulating stems independently, and then merging them back together- rather than being able to keep them separate and act like independent tracks. I think not resetting the stems when one of the two unlinked decks is unloaded allows for both workflows.

Posted Thu 04 Apr 24 @ 2:50 pm