Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Colored Decks feature issue
Currently the tracks playing in VDJ aren't highlighted in the color of the corresponding deck.
Current tracks playing are always highlighted in gray.
Why have a Blue and Red deck if the tracks don't correspond to them in the browser?

In Auto-Mix when a track is playing in Deck B it is highlighted in Blue.
Deck B is Red (Track Highlighted should be in Red)
Deck A is Blue (Tracks are Always in Blue regardless of Deck)

Hopefully Deck A tracks are highlighted in Blue after a future update to address this concern.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 11:20 am
Just curious...what do you see as the gain feature/functionality wise from highlighting the tracks in all decks as the color of the deck? Is it to see what's playing and where solely from the browser?

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 1:00 pm
Yes, it's to show which track is playing in which deck.

For Auto-Mix every track playing is highlighted in Blue regardless of which Deck it's playing in.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 3:00 pm
djabcraver wrote :
to show which track is playing in which deck

Ah, but you can see that by.........looking at the deck.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 3:47 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
If only there was a color rules feature that was released 3 years ago. Maybe you should look up a video on it instead of wishing for something that already exists.

I reply to lots of posts here, I stop replying to people who don't look things up.
Good luck.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 5:05 pm
If it existed I would not have asked for it.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 9:32 pm
"Ah, but you can see that by.........looking at the deck."

Then why is each deck a different color?

If you are looking at the browser the track is always highlighted in Blue.
This would mean that it is playing in the Blue deck but it's not.

This would be a simple fix by having it match the deck it's in or just not even bother having different colored decks.

DJay Pro/Rekordbox/Serato/Traktor don't have multi colored decks.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 9:39 pm
I understand what you are saying, but as @groovindj said, you can look up at the decks to know what is playing, so this would purely be a convenience feature (seeing what's playing without looking up). I think most people want to know, among other things 1) what tracks are available to play 2) what tracks have already been played
user26547980 wrote :

If you are looking at the browser the track is always highlighted in Blue.
This would mean that it is playing in the Blue deck but it's not.

It's not to say that what you are requesting is not a goid suggestion, but it's definitely not a flaw in the software (which is what your post is sort of implying). All of the information you are desiring is already achieavable through the current design/workflow.

This would be a simple fix by having it match the deck it's in or just not even bother having different colored decks.

DJay Pro/Rekordbox/Serato/Traktor don't have multi colored decks.

The issue here is you are implying that what you think the difference in deck color means is what the devs were thinking when they made deck colours in the default skin.
I don't think that's the case, at the very least, I would think the coloring was meant as a visual way to differentiate controls/etc from the perspective of the decks.
To be sure, I think you should ask the devs what the goals were instead of saying what you think they should have done with the coloring.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 10:19 pm
djabcraver wrote :

Decks are not always different colors.

Some skins do not designate a color to a deck, so your so called "issue" is not really an issue at all, and it would make no sense to color tracks to "show which deck they're on".

You said yourself that other software doesn't color decks, so in your opinion how would users of those programs be able to tell which deck a track is on? I would suggest they look at the decks.

Posted Sat 10 Feb 24 @ 11:30 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Not to mention (I guess I am) what happens if the same track is on multiple decks?

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 1:17 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As locodog mentioned, you can already do it, just add a color filter for each deck. (Loaded On=1, Loaded On=2 etc...)

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 4:53 am
Every time I post a simple request it can blown out of proportion and over thought.

The simple fact here is that VDJ has 2 colored Decks and when a track is highlighted it means that it is playing in one of the two decks.

VDJ chose to highlight it in Blue regardless of which deck it's playing in.

The simple fix here would be to make both decks blue or just address the fact that
a "blue" track is playing in the "red" deck.

I don't know why VDJ chose Blue regardless of deck which is why I made a simple request for it to correspond with each Deck.

These requests are to take the behavior of what exists and correcting or following through with the intent.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 12:01 pm
The real problem is you don't seem to want to listen to what people are trying to say in term of an explanation of what is happening and alternatives. You are instead coming with a preformed (and in this case false) conclusion that the behaviour is wrong. We want to help you, but you also have to be open to alternatives/explanations that are acceptable while probably not being your own. If you aren't open to that then you will probably have a difficult time here on this forum.

In the end you have this as a question

user26547980 wrote :

I don't know why VDJ chose Blue regardless of deck

And this as a suggestion

user26547980 wrote :

which is why I made a simple request for it to correspond with each Deck.

@Adion (one of the devs) provided you with a color rule that could potentially be a solution - did you try it?

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 3:19 pm
If a color rule is a solution wouldn't that be something that could be coded by one of the Devs?

The feedback is for the Devs to improve upon or tweak what is already done with the stock interface.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 6:35 pm
Virtual DJ is not an open source software which is why it has the Devs to make it what it is today.

They have done a spectacular job since it's total redesign but as with every software minor tweaks can be made which they have done with and without pushing an actual update lately.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 6:42 pm
When a dev says "you can already do that"
Don't expect any further changes well because, YOU CAN ALREADY DO THAT

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 6:43 pm
(Wishes for new features and tweaks)

Why does this forum exist if the Devs are just going to tell us to learn and code the program ourselves?

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 6:58 pm
Occasionally good ideas are suggested, this isn't one of those occasions.
But you carry on if you wish, see how it goes when the active forum users ignore you.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 7:10 pm
Ok, if this wasn't a good idea why wasn't it ignored in the first place?

Over 200 users have clicked on this post but at the end of the day it's not up to you or me to determine if this is a good suggestion or if it will be added.

However, I do apologize if my posts are upsetting but I appreciate your feedback.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 24 @ 7:27 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
user26547980 wrote :
Over 200 users have clicked on this post but at the end of the day it's not up to you or me to determine if this is a good suggestion or if it will be added.

Many of us read every post and response.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 24 @ 4:53 pm