Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: older recordings bpm analysis
Better bpm analysis? Many times older recordings (the beat is drifting) fail to sync even after Variable bpm is used

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 9:02 am
Just FYI:
"Variable" BPM is not designed to cover "drifting" BPM.
It is designed to be able to find multiple constant BPM sections within a track.
In other words it is designed to work against tracks that deliberately have tempo changes (and the tempo remains constant between the different sections of the track)

I'm saying this just to make clear where and when "Variable BPM" is designed to work.

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 9:12 am
IMO it would better be described as "Multiple BPM".

Using the word "variable", people expect it to follow/analyse drifting tempo.

It would be great if VDJ was able to accurately detect and analyse drifting tempo, placing anchors automatically. Better still if VDJ was able to warp as well as Ableton Live.

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 6:08 pm
groovindj wrote :
It would be great if VDJ was able to accurately detect and analyse drifting tempo, placing anchors automatically.

That would be amazing.

groovindj wrote :
Better still if VDJ was able to warp as well as Ableton Live.

That would be out of this world, once again leaving all other DJ software vendors lagging behind.

Posted Sat 21 Oct 23 @ 5:09 am
We can but dream...

Ableton Live has been doing it for more than 20 years, and it's been requested repeatedly here.

Posted Sat 21 Oct 23 @ 8:13 am

Posted Sat 21 Oct 23 @ 8:52 am
I've heard a few (on Paul Dakeyne's Twitch streams) and those ones sounded OK to me - but reading the disclaimer about sections being "corrected" if/when they don't comply to the "normal" 4/4 arrangement I can see how those parts could sound strange.

A while ago, Dakeyne did a remix of Searching by Change, and made it sound really odd by taking the swing out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Eb00yC19ADE

Posted Sat 21 Oct 23 @ 9:12 am
I listened through a bunch of the mastermixdj re-grids, and most of them sound fine to me. I can see, though, that some old-timer tracks could lose some of their "soul" by being heavily warped.

There could be a feature that would use an accurate beatgrid (auto detected or manually crafted) to do an automatic warping รก la Ableton, using the grid markers to steer the process. You could then use the ones that ended up being good and discard the failures.

Last time (a couple of years ago) I tried warping in Ableton it was a very time consuming process. Maybe they have automated it since then?

Posted Sat 21 Oct 23 @ 2:09 pm
It's had improvements made recently, I think in part due to the release of the standalone Push 3, where the warping needs to be done without the aid of a mouse or large screen.

Posted Sat 21 Oct 23 @ 3:22 pm