Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Playlists Vs. Virtual folders
seanPRO InfinityMember since 2018
There's a post from 2009 about this but the information is out of date:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/115553/General_Discussion/virtual_folders_vs_playlist_.html

Playlists and Virtual Folders function very similar but here's the differences I've found, feel free to add anything else you know of.

Playlists
● Can't be moved outside the "playlists" heading and other folder types such as filter folders can't be moved inside this heading, which means you can't have a filter folder sitting near a playlist.
● Duplicates of the same track can be added to a playlist.
● Inside SoundSwitch (3rd party lighting) it'll display all your playlists in a single hierarchy. It won't display the sub folders they're inside making them hard to navigate.

Virtual folders
● Virtual folders and filter folders can sit near each other.
● Duplicates of the same track can't be added to the same virtual folder.
● Inside SoundSwitch (3rd party lighting) it'll display virtual folders with the correct hierarchy.

Of course neither meet my needs 😂 I use SoundSwitch so virtual folders are preferable and I like to have filter folders near them BUT I sometimes need duplicates in a playlists because I have an odd workflow.

Posted Sun 15 Oct 23 @ 3:00 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
make duplicates with track cleaner then.

Playlists can be moved out side of the playlist folder, use shift when you drag, but not into filters,
not sure of the use of filter & list being near each other but quick filters kind of cover any case there?

Posted Sun 15 Oct 23 @ 3:11 pm
seanPRO InfinityMember since 2018
Making duplicates with track cleaner is a cool trick, thanks a heap for that one :)

Are you sure about moving playlists outside the playlist folder, I just recorded this video attempting it https://youtu.be/exZd2CCsHDw at first I'm not holding shift, it shows a red line where the playlist would drop but won't actually move there. Second attempt is with hold shift and it doesn't even show the red line.

I do have a bit of a work around, I could turn them into Favorite folders and then move those around. I prefer this over quick filters.

Posted Sun 15 Oct 23 @ 3:44 pm