Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Did Tidal Just Sneak in a DJ Tier under HiFAI plus
I noticed the latest VirtualDJ early access release (2023 b7692) has this info for Tidal HiFi Plus usage:

Quote :
Allow offline download and show playlists for Tidal with Hifi Plus subscription

Does "allow offline download" mean VirtualDJ now has a download cache for Tidal music, or is it just the lists itself? If I'm misunderstanding, what does this blurb mean exactly?

They also seemed to have Livestreaming within their platform for DJs now, called Tidal Live, which alhough seemingly available for the HiFi tier and up, has direct marketing for DJs on the HiFi plus description page.

It's interesting that they forced stems to be unusable from their platform (record labels, artists requests, plus acapella/instrumentals offerings probably being the cause), and now they are coming back and trying to appease us by wanting us to pay more money for some offline usage/livestreaming capability.

Posted Wed 04 Oct 23 @ 11:43 pm
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Does "allow offline download" mean VirtualDJ now has a download cache for Tidal music,

Yes, Now with the Tidal HiFi Plus plan, one can download as many tracks as one wishes to your hard drive for offline usage.

The file is saved as ARTIST - TITLE.vdjcache and can be renamed, moved, deleted, copied, like any other file.
(that is: moved to any OS folder or Drive, using "Move to.." within VDJ, as one can do with any other track, using R-click, File operations, menu)

And needs a continued subscription to keep the DRM active.
Do not know yet the timer on the DRM.
(maybe ones sub renewal date is used)
There is a Refresh DRM item added to R-click menu for the cached files.

Note: I have modified the color and location of the Tidal "Online Cache" folder, for easier access.
(else it will appear white and at bottom of Tidal list.)

Current EA 7692
Hifi Plus subscription

Posted Thu 05 Oct 23 @ 1:08 am
Interesting...so I guess Tidal is no longer going to be "for personal/private use only" given that kind of effort

Posted Thu 05 Oct 23 @ 2:42 am
lol ... you wish !

I would guess . .Tidal is NOT the one really behind the changes.. but the artists, producers.. who are requiring Tidal, to remove Stems separation.. (just speculation)

Posted Thu 05 Oct 23 @ 4:16 am