Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: DDJ 800 PROBLEMS VIRTUAL DJ 2023
Hi Guys
Does anyone round a ddj800 with virtual DJ 2023. I'm an oldskool virtual dj 7.4 user for many years as I like that it feels more like DJing rather than an the auto crap that seems to mess a mix up. I use to use it with a different controller that had a stand alone mixer mode that didn't use the software mixer (just faked the on screen gain/eq pots moving).

I'm finding that the gain is all over the place even with auto and remember gain on. Plus every time I load a track up I have to remember to move the gain pots on the DDJ 800 up and down otherwise they often don't move the software until they have gone past where the software auto gain has set them. i.e. If the software lowers a gain but hardware gain is at centre point if I don't move the hardware gain down and past where the software has set it first turning the hardware gain pot up does nothing!! If already in the mix that track is low and I have to turn it lower to allow the software fo work with hardware to then turn gain back up. It's horrible and ruins a mix every time. Is there a setting I can change that makes the hardware pot work every time without having to move it about first to match software?

Also another gain/vu meter problem is a track can be very loud but on the cue vu meter often reads way lower than the other deck that has a lower volume track. This happens randomly on either deck. Sometimes a track can be red lining but fairly low in the mix where the other deck is reading very low in the green or not at all on the vu meter but still same volume. I know music is all recorded and different levels and with different eq such as more bass/mid which would register more or less on vu meter but I've been a DJ for 20+ years and never had such strange behaviour on cue VU meters.

Any ides or tips would be great.

Many thanks
Ant

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 9:38 am
tip number one: buy a license.
tip number two: 7.4 hasn't been supported in years.
tip number three: stop being afraid of change. you can always turn off or not use features you don't feel like using - and UPGRADE your computer just like you would any other gear you use. things change and us old dogs DO learn new tricks to stay ahead of the young pups.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 10:13 am
You just need to learn a bit
1. Don't use +remember. That will mess up future autogain on the track
2. When autogain is setup correctly you should really never need to touch the gain knobs. But if you do the default behavior is "pick-up" when the physical an software knobs are out of sync. That is to avoid audio jumps. If you don't care about that you can set the takeover modes to Instant
3. You probably want to go through all the auto options and set them how you like. More info here:

4. You probably also want to go through the reset on load options. They ahould be pretty self-explanatory

...ohi yes, and you do need a VDJ license. But you must have had that for v7 too, right? That still works

Posted Sun 27 Aug 23 @ 10:56 am