Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: 3 Major questions from a Serato User
Last night was my first night using VDJ in the wild. Ive been a Serato user since 07. 3 major things I noticed.
1. I really like the waveforms in Serato much more than VDJ. What's the closest setting in VDJ to Serato for waveforms?
2. Is there anything in VDJ that is like Serato flip?
3. This is a weird one but last night during a couple of songs the music would just turn down by like 30% is there any reason that would happen? Like a setting or something. One time it happened while I was walking to the bathroom so nothing was being pressed or changed.

Im using a Rev7 and a 2021 MBP M1 w/ 64gb of ram

Posted Fri 21 Jul 23 @ 9:13 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Fri 21 Jul 23 @ 10:56 pm
Thank you I'll check that out! I use flip a lot in Serato and from what I could see that was the only thing missing from VDJ but I gained so much more in other areas

Posted Fri 21 Jul 23 @ 11:02 pm
1) is a bit too vaguely described to get any reasonable help. What exactly in Serato waveform are you missing from the VDJ waveform?

If it is color, have a look at the Waveform Display section of the Manual, there are options to change the color scheme of the waveform. Too jittery? Change the zoom of the waveform, change the fps of the skin to see if it helps (skinFps=60 matches Serato's default). You can also try using other skins (e.g. VancedGT) that do a good job with waveform display.

3) sounds like it could be a mix of autogain settings + your limiter kicking in.
It is recommended to analyze your tracks before putting it in a deck for play (most readily in the right-click context menu of the song(s) selected in the browser).
Check that you autogain is set to auto.
Check/lower you zeroDB settings to give headroom to prevent the limiter kicking in (see zeroDB in the options) - 3dB or -6dB might help you there.

No guarantee that what I described will help but hopefully it's a start/gives you places to look.

Posted Fri 21 Jul 23 @ 11:18 pm
I use a 2022 14" M1 MacBook Pro and have found through experimenting that videoFPS set to 120 on the M1 silicon with output to an external monitor is better and smoother.

My Systems Specs;
M1 MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2022), Apple Silicon M1 Pro, 16gb, 500 gb SSD, macOS Ventura 13.4.1, VirtualDJ v2023-m b7607.

Posted Fri 21 Jul 23 @ 11:38 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 2:12 am
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
if you used to use flip in order to make edits of a track (shorter lengths, loops etc) in order to make it more "dj friendly" in the mix it can be done through pois editor and macro .. i use it that way..it needs more practice but it do the job.

Posted Sat 22 Jul 23 @ 12:55 pm
+1 for Track Cleaner. I use it extensively to make Quick Hit versions of everything.

I spin video so the files are quite large, and before that I was making actual video edits of everything (which you still need to do on some songs depending on their structure). Track Cleaner makes very small edit files that take virtually no space at all on the drive.

I still wish Track Cleaner let us copy and paste sections (for example I'd love to be able to make a "Hook First" edit), but it works well for now.

Posted Sun 23 Jul 23 @ 1:50 am