Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Video clip (played as loop in sampler) appears with purple tint
I downloaded a video clip earlier, which was originally in 4K. I used Resolume Alley to downscale to 720p (encoded using DXV) but the clip plays in VDJ with a purple tint.

It should look like this:

In VDJ it looks like this:

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 1:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Since you mention the sampler, you mean it plays normal when loaded in the deck?
What does the tag editor show when loaded to a deck?

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 1:52 pm
I didn't try it in a deck, but (checking now) it's the same.

Tag editor says:
Resolume DXV, 1280x720, 30.00 fps, 135556 kbps
Using multi-threaded video decoder (4 threads (frame) )

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 2:01 pm
Any options for color space perhaps when exporting?

Also, does it use transparency, and if not, what's the reason to choose this DXV format?
(Given the huge bitrate and not being gpu-accelerated, it's probably more taxing compared to just playing the original 4k clip if it was h264/h265 encoded)

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 3:41 pm
No options for color space, no transparency used.

DXV can save with alpha or no alpha, and this was saved without.

If I need a reason for choosing DXV, it's the preferred format for use with Resolume, which I use alongside VDJ for streaming.

According to Resolume here https://resolume.com/software/codec

"With the DXV 3 Codec you can mix more video layers on a higher resolution than any other codec. How? By doing all the hard work on the hardware that does it best: the video card"

If I save using Motion JPEG it displays correctly in VDJ, but I'm reporting the issue as others may encounter the same problem, and obviously it would be better if it worked properly.

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 5:04 pm
Could you send me the file?

Posted Sun 07 May 23 @ 4:26 am
I sent you a PM with Dropbox link

Posted Sun 07 May 23 @ 8:20 am
Will check. I noticed that the preview playback on the dropbox website is purple too btw, not sure if that is showing the original file, or if the conversion for web playback dropbox uses is also doing it incorrectly.

Not sure about the claim about it having work done by the gpu. It's possible that their codec does to some extent use gpu acceleration for decoding, but that's still likely no match for the dedicated decoding hardware that's available in most cpu's and gpu's today for h264/h265.

Given the size it probably does have some advantage for random seeking, but for just playing the file in a loop that wouldn't matter too much.

Anyway, will let you know when I examined more.

Posted Sun 07 May 23 @ 10:43 am
FYI earlier today I tried playing some other DXV video clips (supplied with Resolume as examples) in VDJ and got varied results.

Some played without issue, some played with flashing horizontal black banding. Colours were normal though.

Posted Sun 07 May 23 @ 3:48 pm
I'm guessing there's some metadata that ffmpeg doesn't parse for this format. It doesn't look like VirtualDJ is missing anything, so it doesn't look like we'll be able to support this format at this time.

Posted Sun 07 May 23 @ 4:03 pm