Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pass slider value to padfx parameter
What’s the syntax for passing a slider value into a padfx parameter?

I am trying to map the LaunchControl like a dub desk, with sliders controlling stems and dials above controlling tape delay and spring reverb on each stem.

My current attempt for an effect dial is:

deck right padfx “reverb” “stemfx:kick” & effect_slider 1

But I want to control the padfx command effect parameter rather than relying on the Ui sliders.

Huge thanks

Posted Wed 03 May 23 @ 6:55 pm
The trick seemed to be casting to the type for the effect depth parameter:

param_cast “percentage” & deck left padfx “reverb” “stemfx:kick”

Posted Thu 04 May 23 @ 6:55 am
I guess storing then using get_var as a positional parameter, to set other than the first parameter.

Posted Thu 04 May 23 @ 9:41 am
Still struggling with this.

get_var doesn’t seem to work as a positional parameter, eg, padfx 40% get_var ‘val’, only inline, eg get_var ‘val’ & padfx. This prevents me specifying anything other than the first parameter. This looks like a gap in VDJScript, because for normal effects you could use effect_slider, but that would need the “stemfx:hihat” parameter to control a specific stem’s effect.

Or can an effect only work on either one stem or one channel at a time? So effect_slider ‘echo’ 2 would control the 2nd param of the echo on the vocal stem? (I mapped 8 stem channels to each have individual echo, delay and reverb effects, perhaps not understanding it.)

The command above without the param_cast sometimes works, but sometimes not - with seems more reliable with the cast.

Realised I had the same issue a few years ago and never cracked it http://it.virtualdj.com/forums/238118/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/How_to_pass_variables_down_the_VDJScript_command.html

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 11:01 am
Here’s the controller, mapped modelled on a dubbing desk. I have mapped the channels to kick, melody, vocal and hihat, and the knobs above to echo, delay and reverb on each stem, and the buttons below to muting effects. It is a LOT of fun! Need to figure lighting and get some dub tape echo and spring reverb VSTs installed.

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 11:09 am

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 11:10 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Anything not specified as parameter for padfx will keep the previous value, so you can indeed use effect_slider.
For a specific stem/effect combination, you can use
effect_slider 'kick' 'distortion' 1

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 12:21 pm
Adion wrote :
For a specific stem/effect combination, you can use
effect_slider 'kick' 'distortion' 1

This is awesome.

Will it work for all stems?

Cannot get the stems, to work:
Vocal
Melody
Rhythm
Melovocal
Melorhythm

win 10

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 1:42 pm
Only those that work with padfx, so

vocals, hihat, bass, instru, kick, rhythm and instrumental

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 1:45 pm
Thank you !

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 1:49 pm
yes, vocals, hihat, bass, instru, kick, rhythm and instrumental all work.
Is this new, and not in docs ?

would indicate that:
"stem names can be Vocal,HiHat,Bass,Instru,Kick,Melody,Rhythm,MeloVocal,MeloRhythm"

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 2:11 pm
mutestem and solostem parameters indeed allow more combinations

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 3:15 pm
Thanks Adion. Please get these into the instructions, many hours wasted (and probably dead ends above) thinking something up with my script, with vdjscript, vdj, etc, because melody channel not working.

Posted Fri 05 May 23 @ 5:28 pm
Sorry I had misunderstood, my issues were not due to this as I was using the padfx command. Will be experimenting today with the new effect_slider stem parameter and VSTs, thanks!

Posted Sat 06 May 23 @ 5:26 am